This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
By Keithmac
A Leucistic Heron was hanging around Buttertubs this afternoon, unfortunately it wouldn't come very close so the images are fairly large crops but it not that often you get to see one of the strange things in nature. The other Herons didn't seem to like him very much. I also had a quick visit with the Anna's mom and her little ones are growing so fast, I probably only have another week with them, the other female is still sitting on her nest and I haven't seen any sign of a hatch yet. The Bushtit nest looks like they are just about ready to start their new family. This is such a fun time of the year to photograph birds.

ImageDSC_3546.jpg by Keith MacDonald, on Flickr

ImageDSC_3539.jpg by Keith MacDonald, on Flickr

ImageDSC_3531.jpg by Keith MacDonald, on Flickr

ImageDSC_3494.jpg by Keith MacDonald, on Flickr

ImageDSC_3448.jpg by Keith MacDonald, on Flickr
By jewill
Nice looking Heron Keith. Ive never seen one quite like that.
By revs
My first thought was "what if its a Grey Heron" (but i'm sure its not, birders would be foaming at the mouth if it was though, even more funny if nobody told them).
From what i read, vagrant Grey's have been spotted on the "northern coasts" of North America before so its not impossible) :)
By ogopogo
so interesting how much colour (or lack of it) plays in the social & mating strata of birds. the heron is quite beautiful actually. met a birder who has a pure white (leucistic) anna's in her backyard. the bushtits are so cute, all ready to go!
great shots Keith!
By jewill
revs wrote:My first thought was "what if its a Grey Heron" (but i'm sure its not, birders would be foaming at the mouth if it was though, even more funny if nobody told them).
From what i read, vagrant Grey's have been spotted on the "northern coasts" of North America before so its not impossible) :)
Paul - I had never heard of a Grey Heron before. I concentrate on local birds because I don't travel, but then you got me to thinking (oh, no :lol:). At the start of my bird photography hobby in 2013, and while hanging out at Elgin Heritage Park in Surrey, I spotted what I thought was just a weird looking Heron. I took 1 picture and didn't give it much thought after that, until I read your post. I 'googled' it and the pictures that come up look very similar to mine. What do you, and others, think? Is it partially leucistic or could it be that I stumbled upon a rarity and didn't even know it?!

Great Blue Heron by Jewill, on Flickr

All opinions are welcome...thanks.
By revs
jewill wrote:
revs wrote:My first thought was "what if its a Grey Heron" (but i'm sure its not, birders would be foaming at the mouth if it was though, even more funny if nobody told them).
Paul - I had never heard of a Grey Heron before. I concentrate on local birds because I don't travel, but then you got me to thinking (oh, no :lol:). At the start of my bird photography hobby in 2013, and while hanging out at Elgin Heritage Park in Surrey, I spotted what I thought was just a weird looking Heron. I took 1 picture and didn't give it much thought after that, until I read your post. I 'googled' it and the pictures that come up look very similar to mine. What do you, and others, think? Is it partially leucistic or could it be that I stumbled upon a rarity and didn't even know it?!

Great Blue Heron by Jewill, on Flickr

All opinions are welcome...thanks.
Don't mean to hijack this thread Keith but the first time i saw a Grey Heron was in Thailand, and i was struck how similar it was to our Great Blue.
Here are a couple of pics of Grey's over the years for comparison

Wikipedia says "The great blue heron is replaced in the Old World by the very similar grey heron (Ardea cinerea), which differs in being somewhat smaller (90–98 cm (35–39 in)), with a pale gray neck and legs, lacking the browner colors that great blue heron has there. It forms a superspecies with this and also with the cocoi heron from South America, which differs in having more extensive black on the head, and a white breast and neck"
:)
By jewill
Well I guess it’s back to the archives for this one. It would just be my luck to have found the bird of a lifetime and have been blissfully unaware of it all this time.
You can’t blame a girl for trying :mrgreen:.

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]