This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
Black capped chicadee

redpoll - 1

redpoll - 2

Tundra swan?

Mrs. Moose (well ok, not a bird but fun to see this close)

south end of Cook Inlet.
Generally, it was too early for there to be many birds around. Most lakes still frozen over.
jd
The swan id seems ambiguous. Some say the salmon stripe on the lower jaw indicates Tundra swan rather than Trumpeter hence the question mark. I saw only these swans and they all seemed to have that feature. I would be happy to have a definitive answer on that.

Beautiful pictures. I’m not sure about your swan but if I had to pick I’d say Trumpeter mainly because of the lack of yellow on the bill. I’m told that is not 100% reliable but that most Tundra’s have it so I’ll go with the odds.
I don't see the yellow "tear-drop" mark on the lore near eye that you typically see with Tundra, as well, your bird's bill "flows" (straight profile) with the head more in Trumpeter than it does with Tundra where head is more roundish.
I read that when measuring bill length, end of beak to nostril in Trumpeter is 2" or more while in Tundra it is only up to 1 1/2" in length.
Would love to visit Alaska one day :)
Useful mark: where the black bare skin of the bill meets the eye - in Trump it is almost as wide as the eye; in Tundra it is noticeably narrower - giving the look of a golfball-on-tee.

Another mark: the line between base of bill and feathers; on Tundra it slopes down more abruptly, nearly vertical; Trump shows a blunter angle here.

Both features show well in the photo.
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]