This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
By jewill
Oh wow! That is my nemesis bird. I’ve seen them many times but never perched so all of my pictures are blurry flight shots. Gorgeous photo...congratulations Gary.
By Owlet
For you guys looking for good shots of Violet-Green Swallows the nest boxes behind the outer ponds at Iona are good for them. Look out for the rusty wire that they often perch on. Super good spot for Northern-Rough Winged Swallow (I saw like six in a row there) and Violet Green Swallows are often there as well with Tree Swallows and Barn Swallows. Nice shot Gary!
By jewill
Owlet wrote:For you guys looking for good shots of Violet-Green Swallows the nest boxes behind the outer ponds at Iona are good for them. Look out for the rusty wire that they often perch on. Super good spot for Northern-Rough Winged Swallow (I saw like six in a row there) and Violet Green Swallows are often there as well with Tree Swallows and Barn Swallows. Nice shot Gary!
Thanks Owlet. I was there on Tuesday and only saw Tree Swallows. I have heard about this wire before but have not been able to locate it. Is it near the little hut that the banders use? Thanks.
By northvanrob
I was at Ambleside Park yesterday doing a bird count, and we could see hundreds of Violet-green Swallows flying over Capilano River during a Midge hatch!

So we headed to the Capilano RV Park and got a good view of the swallows there!
Every once in awhile, one would land on a rock or stick to rest and have a nap!

ImageViolet-green Swallow resting on a stick by Rob -Alexander, on Flickr

It was pouring rain hard and had an effect on the Violet-green Swallow's plumage!
By zwest
jewill wrote: Apr 29 12:11 pm
Owlet wrote:For you guys looking for good shots of Violet-Green Swallows the nest boxes behind the outer ponds at Iona are good for them. Look out for the rusty wire that they often perch on. Super good spot for Northern-Rough Winged Swallow (I saw like six in a row there) and Violet Green Swallows are often there as well with Tree Swallows and Barn Swallows. Nice shot Gary!
Thanks Owlet. I was there on Tuesday and only saw Tree Swallows. I have heard about this wire before but have not been able to locate it. Is it near the little hut that the banders use? Thanks.
If you take the little trail north along the GVRD fence (next to the pond) all the way to where you can see the Fraser River, then turn left, you’ll go under the famous wire. I stopped by today for a bit and got some decent shots of a Northern Rough-winged -- No Violet-green though unfortunately. I think if you’re willing to hang out nearby and keep an eye on the spot, you’ll eventually get all four species that frequent the area, plus a Purple Martin or two if you’re lucky (I got a pair last year on this wire).

Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Iona Beach Regional Park
By jewill
Oh perfect...thanks so much zwest. I was in the right area but only went to the end of the trail, near the bird banding hut. I didn’t go towards the river.
Thanks again!

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]