Birding in British Columbia

A starting place for birding information for British Columbia, Canada. This web site features a birders discussion forum, links to birding newsgroups, articles and book reviews, checklists, regional hotspots, photo gallery, weather reports, and visiting birder information.
It is currently Oct 31 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Canon EOS 60d -VS- Nikon D3200
PostPosted: Apr 19 5:41 pm 

I will soon be upgrading my hybrid Nikon Coolpix P100 camera to a DSLR (and lens tha gives me at least 400mm). Two cameras are the best for me (features and price). They are:

Canon EOS 60d (and the 400mm f5.6 canon lens)
Nikon D3200 (and the nikon 80-400mm lens)

Which camera do you think is better (The Nindon D3200 should be available by May)?

World Life List: 652
World Year List: 351
BC Year List: 264

Main photography gear:
Canon EOS 60D
Canon EF 400mm f5.6L USM
Click here for a full list of my gear

Links
Website + blog
Photo gallery
Flickr
500px

Post subject: Re: Canon EOS 60d -VS- Nikon D3200
PostPosted: Apr 19 7:15 pm 

Liron, there are guys on this forum that are much more qualified to answer that question than me. You can analyze thousands of pages of reviews and the internet is full of "advice" on which one will be the "ultimate". All I can say is, choosing between the two is 99% personal taste and about 1% about their real performance.

About the only thing I can say for sure is that it makes sense to stick with the system you choose originally. I have a few bodies and lenses, and everything is interchangeable.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deonvanderheever/

PostPosted: Apr 19 10:27 pm 

Liron, you are choosing between a nearly 2 year old camera and just announced camera. The just announced camera will have the very latest technology available. Nikon is doing some amazing things with their DSLR sensors as of late. As the D3200 is their latest (a little better than entry level) it will by no means be a slouch. It is very new and hasn't yet been tested for performance but word is that it will have similar performance to the D5100/D7000 class which is according to DXO having much better image quality, dynamic range, bit color depth among other things than the EOS 60D. The D3200 has the same Expeed 3 processor as the D4/D800, so will be very quick at processing the large amounts of info coming from that 24.2 MP sensor. Not to say the Canon is a slouch (it's not, it's just an older camera). Under normal circumstances both cameras will do fine for the average person. The DXO ratings just become more evident when getting into the finer details like pixel peeping, photo enlargements, color reproduction, etc. The other thing is the video features of the D3200 will most likely be better than the EOS 60D. The EOS 60D doesn't auto focus during movie capture from what I have heard. The EOS 60D on the plus side will shoot faster FPS, have longer battery life, a faster shutter speed (1/8000 compared to 1/4000) among other things (the average person will prob not need more than 1/4000 though).

My advise though, is to do a lot of research before you make your decision. You will have a month or so before the D3200 is available which should give you enough time to decide. Just remember, what ever camera you decide on will be your camera for the next few years or so until you upgrade again (if u do). Make the right decision.

Terry

PostPosted: Apr 20 8:16 am 

This is a common photographer's problem. You want to maximize your (photographic) Utility subject to certain constraints.

Your Utility depends upon YOUR preferences. No one should apply their personal Utility to recommend a certain choice someone else.

Your constraints are also personal. Most of us have financial constraints, for example, but the dollar amount is likely different for each person.

Another constraint lies with legacy equipment. Although couplers are available to use lenses from one manufacturer on cameras from another manufacturer, I am leery of such devices. Department Of Unforeseen Consequences.

I had a friend who was a very successful sports photographer (Official Photographer for the IOC, that sort of success). He was a lifelong Nikon user and had a complete set of Nikon super telephoto lenses. Very large investment.

He decided he wanted to switch to Canon (this was a few years ago) and convinced Canon to switch him out for free. He handed over his Nikon gear and Canon gave him the equivalent Canon gear for free. Without such a trade, he would not have switched, even though at that time he was a millionaire.

So legacy equipment is a strong limiting factor when making such decisions.

That being said, I suspect that if I were starting over again, I would probably go with Sony. Right now, Nikon is stronger than all others, but I suspect that in the long run, Sony will win out. That is, one of my preferences would be to suffer a little now, but gain in the long run (a guess).

As one person I encountered in the field recently said to me, "Canon is lost. They don't know where to go." There is some truth in that. Canon seems to be developing on a top-down basis, rather than bottom-up. For example, their flagship DSLR, the EOS-1Ds was recently discontinued, being replaced by the EOS-1D X. Canon was charging around $7000 for the discontinued model, but its features now longer justified such a price. It seems that what Canon is doing is to move more into video features where they can charge a lot - like $15000 for a recent model. That is, they are offering features to justify high prices, not to satisfy existing or potential customers. (Top-down instead of Bottom-up.)

Canon's new super telephotos are expected to offer superb performance, but again at Super Prices. One of the basic tenets of microeconomics is that if you lower the price, the demand rises. I don't think that Canon has the right price for profit maximization. Generally if demand rises, you manufacture more and manufacturing costs per unit decline (fixed costs are recovered over a greater number of units plus gains from economies of scale).

I am new to Birding and am also retired from the workforce. I find this to be a nice hobby that gets me outdoors, gives me exercise and engages the brain in devising "hunting" strategies. There is a rising population of recent retirees and I've heard long-time Birders comment (complain) about the number of new Birders out and around with cameras.

If Canon and other companies did a smart market analysis on their customers and potential customers, they might adjust their marketing approach to accommodate this new market driven by recent retirees who are engaged in a hobby where light super telephoto lenses are VERY nice to have.

However....

If I had no constraints and given MY set of preferences, I would choose the Nikon from your set of choices. You have to understand your own preferences (Utility) and constraints and make your own decision.

PostPosted: Apr 20 8:46 am 

You may also want to wait for the D400 or whatever the D300S replacement will be called. The D300S has been the unofficial "benchmark" Nikon bird camera for a while now, so the D400 should be of interest to many bird photographers. It will be at a higher price point though.

Another thing you have to keep in mind is that bodies come and go, and in the end you'll spend a bigger portion of your budget on a lens/lenses than on bodies.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deonvanderheever/

PostPosted: Apr 20 11:38 am 
Veteran Member

Hi this is a good debate.. I ran into this when I first started birding seriously and I finally went with the Canon 7d and as I was on a tight budget I went with the 150mm - 500mm Sigma I am happy with this but will say I have found a few soft spots with this lens so I will be getting a canon 100mm-400mm as that will fit into my budget. Like everything else everything is a personal choice and for me this is what works...