This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
On November 11th, I went out to Boundary Bay. My targets to see and photograph included Dunlin, the Tropical Kingbird, any owls I might stumble upon, Northern Shrike, and Rough-legged Hawk. I didn't get the shrike or hawk, but I got everything else.

While coming up 104th street, I noticed a pair of eagles building a nest farily low down. I didn't want to disrupt them, so I just snapped a could of photos before continuing on. Here are three of the photos:

I arrived at Boundary Bay in the morning. First I went to 104th street. It was really cold, but as soon as I got my photo equipment out, one of my target birds flew into a Cedar Tree right near where I was- the Tropical Kingbird! I took a bunch of photos of it. It sat there for about 2 minutes, and it called once and a while. It then flew off. Here are two photos of it:

After photographing the kingbird, I went up onto the dyke. Very far out on the mudflats there were thousands of Dunlin and a few Black-bellied Plovers. They were also thousands of ducks that were Mallards, American Wigeons, and Northern Pintail. Other than these and a couple White-crowned Sparrows in the bushes, there wasn't anything of interest, so I headed towards 72nd street to continue birding. While heading to 72nd, something sitting on a wire beside Hornby Drive caught my eye. It was an American Kestrel! Here is a photo of this beautiful small falcon:

I soon arrived at 72nd street. I was told that a Long-eared Owl was seen (two birds had been in the area for multiple days). One person was kind enough to show me where the owl was. I snapped a couple photos, and then moved on, not wanted to disturb the owl.

There were other birds of prey in the area as well. I counted 4 Short-eared Owls, a couple Northern Harriers, and 8 Snowy Owls. I stood in the same spot and took hundreds of photos of the Harriers and Short-eared Owls that flew by. I got so many good ones, so here are just a couple of them:

Short-eared Owls:

Northern Harriers:

While photographing these birds of prey, some other birds caught my eye. Thousands of Dunlin had settled in much closer than they had been previously. I stalked up to them, and began to take photos. Soon the were feeding and they kept on moving even closer towards me. But then, just as I was beginning to get some good pictures, a Peregrine Falcon flew over and they all flew off. While they flew off, and different bird in the flock caught my eye. It was a Pectoral Sandpiper. Here are some photos of the Dunlin and Pectoral Sandpiper:

Dunlin:

Pectoral Sandpiper:

From the dyke, I had counted 8 Snowy Owls. I decided I would get just close enough to get some decent photos, but not very close. Here are the final results. They were taken through a 400mm lens and a crop sensor on my Canon EOS 60D. They have also been heavily cropped on the computer.

Snowy Owl

Snowy Owl with Northern Harrier

I had a fantastic time at Boundary Bay. Another bird I saw but I didn't mention seeing were many Trumpeter Swans.

Thanks for looking!

Along the Sandpipers theme, I had a couple hours t[…]

Buy Cocaine online | Buy Heroin Online | Buy Cryst[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Current list -- we are at 142 birds! Wow ... Have[…]

The annual Open House at OWL (Orphaned Wildlife Re[…]