This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
By MDB8
I just purchased a new LCD monitor and read with extra interest about Dell launching some new high-end monitors - up to 30" in size. The press release emphasizes the colour accuracy and space of these monitors. Mine, for example, is claimed to cover 98% of Adobe RGB and these new Dell monitors claim 99% coverage.

One important feature seems to have been neglected in Dell's PR. On DP Review, it is stated that these monitors are lit by LEDs. Dell's PR is silent on this specification. Most LED-lit devices use edge lighting, meaning that the light originates from the sides of the screen. (TVs using this technology are extraordinarily thin.) Some premium TVs use "local dimming", meaning that the LEDs are directly behind the LCD screen and can be adjusted locally and there are many more of them. This more expensive method allows for much greater contrast, equivalent to or greater than that attained by the best plasma sets.

A significant Bugaboo for photo enthusiasts is the requirement to adjust the brightness of the screen. LCDs are set far too bright, resulting in under-exposed photos. The new Dell monitors claim brightness of 350cd/m-squared to 370cd/m-squared, or about 3 to 4 times greater than the recommended 90 cd/m-squared.

The ancillary problem is that edge-lit LED monitors cannot be adjusted properly because of the technology used. When the intensity is lowered then the screen brightness loses uniformity. I'm reasonably certain that local-dimming models can be adjusted properly.

I assume that Dell's silence on this issue means that their new models use edge lighting LEDs. Ergo, not worthy of serious investment by someone wanting to get the most out of their photos.

Secondly, more serious Specifications for the upcoming Canon 7D II have appeared. If these are valid, then the camera will have almost all the new or improved features I desire. Improved focusing, GPS & WiFi, 24 MP, improved noise reduction. The feature not mentioned is focusing speed, something I in particular desire to see an improvement in. 10fps too.

I hope it takes the same batteries and battery holder as the current model. It's forecast to be priced at $2199. It would be nice not to have to purchase new batteries, etc. for the camera. I'd probably have to purchase a 64-GB memory card in order to handle the greater size of the photos and likely a 90 MB/s speed for the card in orderto to handle the 10fps efficiently.
By jodelak
The 7D MKII, if built like what they say, will be so tempting :D

From the Canon rumors site:

Specifications

- 24.1mp APS-C Sensor
- Dual DIGIC V
- 10fps
- Dual Memory Card Slots (Unknown configuration)
- 61 AF Points (I wonder if we’ll get red focus points in AIS?)
- 3.2″ LCD
- Build quality like 5D3
- GPS & Wifi
- $2199 ($500 more than the 7D at launch, I’d like to see such a camera come in under $2000)
- ISO Performance to get close to the 5D3
- “Lots of video features”

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]