This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
By MDB8
but in Eugene, Oregon.

On my drive south, I decided to stay the first night in Eugene, where a friend whom I've known since the 1970's lived. I had researched online and discovered that a colony of Acorn Woodpeckers lived nearby. A couple of years ago one had been photographed in Abbotsford (near some hazelnut trees). I drove out there 3 times to see it, but never did. At the time I thought I might have better luck driving to Oregon to see one. (It would have been the same mileage as driving to Abbotsford a few times.)

I followed the online description and drove out to the location the next morning. It was a wetlands area and I met some local Birders there. I asked about the Acorn Woodpeckers and one pointed back down the road about 200 meters where there was a cluster of oak trees beside the road.

But first I walked into the wetlands with them a ways. There were Common Yellowthroat around and some medium-sized birds I couldn't ID. However, easy to ID, was a group of American White Pelicans sitting on the path 200 meters or so ahead. There were others sitting in the damp grass next to the path. Almost all males

Later, as it started to rain lightly, I went to the location of the Acorn Woodpeckers. Sure enough, I could instantly see some flying around on personal missions. Chatty birds, usually making calls while flying. Eventually some landed close enough to study me and I managed a few (hundred) photos.

I also encountered Acorns as I continued south. There was even a colony at the Santa Rita Lodge in Madera Canyon, Arizona. These are apparently a distinct subspecies. Although a few had cream-coloured necks, most were had plain white necks. They were in continual conflict with the Mexican Jays.

And my Eugene friend? Alas, I discovered he was deceased from a heart attack.
By mikewiz
Wonderful set of shots. Love those goofy looking pelicans with the plate on their bill (which is shed once they lay their eggs). Love those goofy looking acorn woodpeckers .... which I've only seen in Arizona and with the white throat.
So sorry about your pal.
By ogopogo
thanks for showing us some new birds Mike. beautiful shot of the Acorn WP.
life is just a blink; sad to lose a friend.

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]