This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
Hi everyone,

I periodically receive requests for directions and information about Brydon Lagoon and I thought I would put together a site guide. Sorry about the repetition for those on Fraser Valley Birding and vanbcbirds...

Brydon Lagoon and the surrounding floodplain is an excellent birding location at all times of the year. It is accessed by turning east onto 53rd Ave. from 200th St. There is a parking lot a couple blocks down on the left, as shown by the star in the map above.

Immediately adjacent to the parking lot is a natural marshy area (‘A’). A scope is useful at this location given that it is not accessible except from the main path. The best viewing location is from the two elevated green metal platforms between the marsh and the parking lot. In the winter, large flocks of long-billed dowitchers and green-winged teal are common. Virginia rails can occasionally be heard from this location as well. Migration brings a variety of shorebirds, waterfowl, and gulls. The water level here can fluctuate quickly, with far fewer birds found when the water level is high.

While walking west towards the lagoon a number of species may be seen in the floodplain (‘B’). Red-tailed hawks are common, and other raptors including bald eagles, Cooper’s and sharp-shinned hawks, and northern harriers may be seen. Spring and fall may bring Lincoln’s and white-crowned sparrows along the trail. Marsh wrens and common yellowthroats are easily heard in the summer months. Four species of swallows are common over the floodplain and lagoon – barn, violet-green, tree, and northern rough-winged.

The lagoon (‘C’) from fall through spring is very productive for waterfowl. A number of species are commonly found here, including mallards, northern shovelers, canvasbacks, scaup, common goldeneyes, ring-necked ducks, buffleheads, common and hooded mergansers, gadwall, American wigeon, and occasionally ruddy ducks. Cormorants are found here in good numbers in the winter. Pied-billed grebes are regularly found throughout the year. Occasionally a green heron may be found. Golden-crowned sparrows are easily found near the mallard-feeding area at the entrance to the lagoon. Belted kingfishers are often seen fishing on the west edge of the lagoon. A variety of songbirds can be found in the trees surrounding the lagoon.

At the west edge of the lagoon, a path runs north/south along a wooded area (‘D’). This path is great during migration for warblers, black-headed grosbeaks, and western tanagers. Creepers are found all year a kinglets are easily found (golden-crowned in the winter and ruby-crowned in spring and fall). Both black-capped and chestnut-backed chickadees are often found here. There are a few access points to enter the woods where occasionally a barred owl or pileated woodpecker may be found.

If continuing west along the path south of the McLellan Substation (‘E’) watch for towhees, savannah sparrows, and rufous hummingbirds in the summer. Flycatchers including western wood-pewee, Pacific-slope flycatcher may be heard and willow flycatchers are generally easily seen in the summer.

Once McLellan Creek is crossed the path branches off north and south. The path north leads into another wooded area (‘F’) and follows the creek. In mid-November salmon can be seen swimming up the creek. Listen for Pacific-slope flycatchers in the summer. Pacific wrens and ruby-crowned kinglets may be heard singing in the spring and golden-crowned kinglets and brown creepers are commonly seen in the winter.

By following the path south, the Nicomekl River can be accessed (‘G’). This is a nice lookout point that will occasionally provide some interesting species such as wood duck. Savannah and song sparrows, marsh wrens, and common yellowthroats are easily heard in the summer. Belted kingfishers are often seen and heard from this location as well. As active bald eagle nest is seen at the corner where the path turns east (‘H’).
There are a couple access points to the wooded area along this path (‘I’). These woods often have creepers, kinglets, and varied thrush in the winter, Pacific wrens in the spring, and Bewick’s wrens year-round.

The trail turns offers an option to turn south and cross the Nicomekl River (‘J’). If continuing along this trail, Colebrook Road may be crossed revealing the entrance to High Knoll Park. This park has some excellent trails and provides a variety of woodland bird species.

A complete list of bird species with abundance bar chart for Brydon Lagoon and the surrounding floodplain can be found at:
http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/GuideMe?c ... &yr=all&m=
This is awesome Randy, I guess I could call myself a regular at Brydon but you have inspired me to explore a little further into the woods to see what I might find.

I would love to see similar informative maps for some of the other birding areas. I find I tend to keep going back to what I know. I only get a birding day every few weeks and I am not much of a walker so having a little direction makes it easier to venture out to a new area.

Great job on the map!
Thanks everyone, I'm glad it's helpful. If you would like a Word document copy of it to make it easier to print please let me know (ra.walker@shaw.ca) and I can email it. Alternatively, I posted it on the Fraser Valley Birding website, where documents can be attached. Here's the link:

http://bcbirding.proboards.com/thread/7 ... site-guide

Hope to see some of you out here!
By the way, Greatblue - in the fall I saw a young green heron for about 2 weeks at the site marked 'A' so it's definitely worth checking. Also migration brings an assortment of shorebirds to this area.
That's great Randy, thanks so much. We will check it out, much prefer to have a map. And thanks for the link to the Fraser Valley group, being in Abbotsford that is so good to know about! Wendy

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]