Birding in British Columbia

A starting place for birding information for British Columbia, Canada. This web site features a birders discussion forum, links to birding newsgroups, articles and book reviews, checklists, regional hotspots, photo gallery, weather reports, and visiting birder information.
It is currently Nov 18 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
 Post subject: Re: Beacon Hill Park happenings
PostPosted: Feb 23 12:02 pm 
Veteran Member

ogopogo wrote:
Feb 19, 2017 Sunday-not a lot to report from Beacon Hill Park unless you want to get a shot of the first daffodils in bloom (small meadow across Dallas Rd & to the left of Mile 0 sign) or the crocus field beginning above Goodacre Lake. quiet for birds. only 5 heron; they should start their nests in March but everything seems later this year.
Found Barred "Angel" (born Apr 1, 2016) sleeping in a cedar out at SEW and Mom Barred hooting to him at 2pm.
Two year old Barred "Tuffy" (Apr 24, 2015) was entertaining tourists in front of the Bay Centre down on Douglas St Saturday with crows chasing him around. He has done very well in his downtown territory on Yates St & Market Square.

Very interesting about Tuffy
What prey items do you think is his mainstay in this unique territory?
Thx for sharing Cheryl

Cheers
Jody Wells

PostPosted: Feb 25 6:47 am 

Hi Jody, Tuffy is by the Inner Harbour, so I imagine he finds black rats and mice mostly. In the Park, I have seen them eat grey squirrel, robin, garter snake, crow, a white feathered bird (not sure if a Rock Pigeon or seagull), rats and mice and one day an owlet was holding the leg of a peahen. another was practicing talon holds on a baby peachick, dragging it along the path in the woods.

This week I got some video of Fancy swiveling her head around the 270 degrees Barred are capable of. Read this article where scientists got the skinny through research.
http://www.livescience.com/26771-how-ow ... heads.html
Also the female Bald Eagle was preening in the cottonwood on Douglas St with full wing extension and white tail spread.

PostPosted: Feb 26 6:37 am 

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/1489/y5qtRr.jpg

PostPosted: Oct 18 7:53 am 

October 18, 2017-a little update on the Barred owl family. it seems every 4 years, the senior Barred turn the woods over to the oldest and strongest son. This happened 4 years ago when Jake & Loveheart left the woods to Mr (misnamed Missy because he was so pretty) who mated with Josephine (Josie). They have had 4 years of owlets in the SEW (south-east woods by the totem), the last 2 years in a large hole at the top of a broken off douglas fir, giving perfect photo opportunities of 3 little white fluffy owlets sticking their heads out in April. I was there May 12 when they branched. Ricky, the first born, was on the ground, winding his little wings up and hopping 4 ft at a time all the way over to a horse chestnut tree near Camas Way, the Zoo road. Dad Mr flew down right beside me to make sure all was safe, then both adults flew over to applaud Ricky's effort. Nicki, the second was clinging to the nearby maple like a Koala bear and Sly, the runt, was still in the nest. The next day, Josie flew down to a branch close to the ground above me and pointed out little Sly, who lay 5 ft into the tall grass, with a broken neck. I took him to Central Vet who passed him on to WildArc for burial. May 25th Nicki had a serious eye infection or injury and died that night, body never found. Aug 9, 2017 I found another barred with feathers pulled out in clumps and buried him on the spot. It may have been the Dad. Ricky survived, spent July dancing to bee-bop-a-loola on my friend's iPHone, disappeared in Aug, and came back Sep 4 with a mate, "Lady". They use the full range of the Park, giving space to the Horned. We look forward to Spring owlets from heir apparent Ricky and his new mate Lady.
In August, as is usual, the GHOW came back into the SEW. We see Mom, Dad and the 2016 owlet who races around the trees setting off the Flickers and Steller's Jays. The horned don't seem to nest in the woods; they leave eventually.

PostPosted: Nov 15 7:44 pm 

Nov 10 there were 4 Barred in the Park, 3 in SEW (totem) from Cook St (the Dad Mr!) to Camas Drive in the squared off fence area & 1 (big female) in cedars beside the Bandstand.
Nov 12 Victoria Animal Control had to capture someone's pet released in BHPk, a big Corn Snake, quite harmless but a bit of a shock to run into considering we only have little garter snakes here.
Watching for the Crossbills to move down from Gov Hse to the Park. they like the Scotch Pines along the road up to Beacon Hill.
No sign of the GHOW for a couple weeks.

PostPosted: Nov 18 8:52 am 

Nov 17, 2017 Fri morning-dead Barred Owl (in one piece) found on sidewalk by legislature/Plmt Bdgs by Colin McCann. given to Biologist at Royal BC Museum. might have been "Tuffy", the 3 yr old SEW born owl who lived downtown.

Nov 8 & 16 Wilson's Warbler in Pk eBird

Nov 17-RTHA (Harlan's?) in tree across Camas Dr from totem, chased by crows.
11am-the Bald Eagle was right in the nest with a stick in beak, doing winter maintenance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22