Birding in British Columbia

A starting place for birding information for British Columbia, Canada. This web site features a birders discussion forum, links to birding newsgroups, articles and book reviews, checklists, regional hotspots, photo gallery, weather reports, and visiting birder information.
It is currently Sep 24 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hybrid Mallard?
PostPosted: Apr 01 4:59 pm 
Intermediate Member

Hi.. Is this a hybrid mallard? Was seen on April 1, 2017 in Beacon Hill Park, Victoria. (not a joke)

Post subject: Re: Hybrid Mallard?
PostPosted: Apr 01 5:46 pm 
Intermediate Member

Google 'Manky Mallard images' and you will find your bird.
Rokman

PostPosted: Apr 01 5:54 pm 
Intermediate Member

Rokman wrote:
Google 'Manky Mallard images' and you will find your bird.
Rokman

Ah. thanks.. I did what you said and clicked on an image that was pretty similar and followed the discussion for that image. Anyways: I think it's pretty special to me

:D

PostPosted: Apr 02 8:59 am 
Intermediate Member

I took pic of it on the 25th Dec and posted it here and was told it was a domestic mallard.

PostPosted: Apr 02 9:34 am 
Site Admin

It could be a mix of a bunch of things and it looks like a mixed breed mallard x domestic duck took me. What we do know is that at some point back in this ducks ancestry the genetics of a wild Mallard were mixed in.

Cornell Lab has a good article:
Confusing Domestic Ducks
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/domducks.htm

Cornell Labs wrote:
It’s a domestic duck.

This is probably the most common answer to most beginning birder’s duck problems. Domestic duck breeds are not illustrated in most field guides, and the older guides did not mention this problem at all. When people go out looking for wild birds they seem to forget that domestic breeds exist. First rule of thumb: If your weird duck is found at a park, walking around on the grass or coming near people, it is probably a domestic duck. But, these domestic monsters do get mixed up in flocks of wild birds, too, so how do you spot them? Second rule of thumb: If your duck has large patches of white where you didn’t expect it, think domestic duck. People seem to love to breed white or partially white domestic animals, presumably because such mutations don’t do well in the wild and consequently are rare. Such mutations do turn up in the wild, though, and we’ll discuss them later, but for now, if you see big patches of white, think domestic duck.