Birding in British Columbia

A starting place for birding information for British Columbia, Canada. This web site features a birders discussion forum, links to birding newsgroups, articles and book reviews, checklists, regional hotspots, photo gallery, weather reports, and visiting birder information.
It is currently Nov 24 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gilded Flicker in Victoria?
PostPosted: May 15 9:43 pm 

Hello,
I'm not a birder (although I love watching them) and this is my first post so please excuse my nervousness.
While walking in the rain today in Victoria (Front & Russell Streets) I saw a very attractive bird feeding on something in the crack of the sidewalk. I managed to take this very poor photo with my phone before it flew away.
It has very distinct markings and I think that it might be a Gilded Flicker although if that is true this bird is a long way from it's normal habitat in Arizona and Baja.
I would appreciated it if some of the experts out there could offer their opinions.
Thanks,
Jerry

Post subject: Re: Gilded Flicker in Victoria?
PostPosted: May 15 11:00 pm 
Veteran Member

Thanks for the post, and you are not far off from your ID, from a field mark standpoint; you have a Northern Flicker, of the red-shafted variety, which is the local version here in Victoria :)

Post subject: Re: Gilded Flicker in Victoria?
PostPosted: May 16 7:39 am 

I guess its nice, deep tan tricked me :D It sure is a lovely bird and I have never seen one.
Thanks for letting me know.