This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
Angie Joiner and I were out birding east of Prince George yesterday when we heard a call we couldn't positively identify coming from high in the trees at the edge of cut block (on the Bowron FSR - south side). The bird continued to sing the entire time we were there. When we returned 3 or 4 hours later the bird was still singing (same song, no variation). I had my recording equipment with me in the vehicle and we managed to get a fairly good record of the song, which I've uploaded to xeno-canto.org:

http://www.xeno-canto.org/379119

I don't believe the species is one common to the Fraser-Fort George region. I don't want to bias anyone's opinion with what I think the bird might be --> any opinions?
I have no idea sorry. Also I see there's no ID on xeno canto yet. Did you contact Ian Cruickshank? I've never met anyone better with bird songs and calls than him!
rawalker wrote:I have no idea sorry. Also I see there's no ID on xeno canto yet. Did you contact Ian Cruickshank? I've never met anyone better with bird songs and calls than him!
Thanks. I have been in contact with Ian - he has given it a listen and is discussing it with some of his contacts.
Hawkman1234 wrote:Best guess would be one of many Bewicks Wrens songs.
An interesting suggestion. Keep in mind the recording was made just outside Prince George - I'm not even sure if there is a record of that species that far north(?).
jeffdyck wrote:
Hawkman1234 wrote:Best guess would be one of many Bewicks Wrens songs.
An interesting suggestion. Keep in mind the recording was made just outside Prince George - I'm not even sure if there is a record of that species that far north(?).
It doesn't sound too much like a Bewick's wren to me and singing in the top of a conifer certainly would not be typical for them.

Please keep us posted!
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]