This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
This huge hawk was in the dead tree in front of our house in Kelowna, BC, in the Wilden area. It's on the side of a mountain. The pic isn't the greatest, but we were trying not to move too fast and have it move on. I thought it might be a ferrigunous hawk, based on what I saw, and pictures, but I'm so new to this that I can't tell. Exquisite!

DMMacQ wrote: Jan 22 1:25 pm This huge hawk was in the dead tree in front of our house in Kelowna, BC, in the Wilden area. It's on the side of a mountain. The pic isn't the greatest, but we were trying not to move too fast and have it move on. I thought it might be a ferrigunous hawk, based on what I saw, and pictures, but I'm so new to this that I can't tell. Exquisite!
Hi DMMacQ,
I live in Magic just down from you ... I can't see your picture either, but we've been seeing that same hawk flying around -- it is a Red-tailed Hawk ... No Ferruginous in our area ... beautiful bird.
James
Thank you for the ID. My neighbor got a spectacular picture of him. The hawk has discovered their 3 pound puppy and keeps coming back to check on him. He sits in the dead trees in front of our deck. What an incredible bird!

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]