This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
By Colin
The interaction between birds is interesting. Yesterday, my wife informed me that a bird had just struck the front window (the one spot that didn’t have a “Window Alert” decal on it) and that the bird was on its back on the front lawn. I raced out and then slowly approached the area. I was surprised to find that it was a Red-breasted Sapsucker. Even though it was positioned in a way which looked like it couldn’t see me, as I got to about four feet away, it became aware of my presence and flew off to the side of the house. I was then informed that it was clinging up-side-down on the bottom of a hanging fuchsia plant off the deck, in a heavily treed area.

I didn’t approach it, as I felt that it just needed some time to recuperate, but I couldn’t help but notice the presence and intense chattering of at least one Ruby-crowned Kinglet. It’s possible that there were other birds also chirping somewhat frantically nearby, somehow aware of the Sapsucker.

So I’m left wondering why these smaller birds were so unsettled; I don’t imagine that the Sapsucker is normally any kind of threat to them, and I’m reluctant to anthropomorphize any “care & concern” on their part.

Any insight from you birders?

The Sapsucker eventually was not present, so hopefully it’s OK.

I must make a plug for the “Window Alert” cling decals here; they really do work. www.windowalert.com

The nice bonus for the afternoon was as I was walk[…]