This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
By Guyzerr
birdergirl wrote:Y They are a stunning drake especially with the sun bringing out their green head hues.

Also, directly across from Stanley Park I took this photo of a noisy but cute Pigeon Guillemot at Lonsdale Quay. One of the moulting birds swam right up to me
Cheers,
Mel

BAM ! BAM ! BA...BAM!
Owlet wrote:Love the photo of the guillemot Mel!

I've heard that lonsdale is a good place for alcids, which I really need to photograph since I've only had views of some alcids by scope. If so, what are the best areas time and viewing tips? I would reaalllllllyyy love to see a pigeon guillemot close up, they are kinda like penguins :D thanks in advance!

Hi Adam,

Thanks so much your kind words on my Pigeon Guillemot shot. You are right they look kind of like little Penguins and they sound so funny. They are present all day Adam but an evening shoot would be better because the light can be harsh during the day if it's not in the right position for shooting. When I was there I saw a large raft of 100 Barrow's Goldeneyes too right up close to a nearby dock (and in gorgeous light) but I couldn't get to them because they were feeding all around a private dock! It was painful haha.

So you definitely won't need a scope. The specific place is called Burrard Dry Dock Pier. Sit down low on the lower public dock (with your dad) and watch them swim in front of you and if you are quiet and alone on the dock like I was, you may get lucky and have them swim right at you! Either way, it will be great fun and they will still be close enough for good views. You can watch them feed along beside the pier and fight/squabble (since it's getting to breeding time). You will also see them fly under the pier to their nest sites. You will have a great time Adam listening to their funny sounds, seeing them in flight with those red feet and flying up to their nests. It's funny to watch them come flying in and crash landing into the water with a big plop! Let me know how it goes for you but make sure you have the sun in the right position for shooting if you go in the day and a nice evening shoot is probably best. Not sure if you know this but Pigeon Guillemots are only found on the West Coast so they are special indeed.

Cheers,
Mel
Guyzerr wrote:
birdergirl wrote:Y They are a stunning drake especially with the sun bringing out their green head hues.

Also, directly across from Stanley Park I took this photo of a noisy but cute Pigeon Guillemot at Lonsdale Quay. One of the moulting birds swam right up to me
Cheers,
Mel
BAM ! BAM ! BA...BAM!
Hahaha! Thanks mate! :P

Cheers,
Mel
birdergirl wrote:Thanks for that info Liron and sharing your lovely shots. No wonder that last Surf Scoter shot got a place in the top 100 of the Audubon 2015 photography awards.

Yesterday, I went to Lost Lagoon to see the displaying Common Goldeneyes.

One of the males was close to shore at sunset time and allowed for nice photography. They are a stunning drake especially with the sun bringing out their green head hues.

ImageMale Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) - Vancouver, BC by Birdergirl, on Flickr

Also, directly across from Stanley Park I took this photo of a noisy but cute Pigeon Guillemot at Lonsdale Quay. One of the moulting birds swam right up to me, which doesn't usually happen there for me. However the full breeding plumaged birds stayed further back. I love their red feet and mouths and sounds they make and it was nice catching this one in this state of advanced moult.

ImagePigeon Guillemot (Cepphus columba) - North Vancouver by Birdergirl, on Flickr

Cheers,
Mel
These two shots are super Mel. Well done and thank you so much for sharing. Cheers.
By FYLegend
I went to Ambleside today hoping to find Harlequins. It was my first time here so I wasn't entirely sure where to look. I went home thinking I didn't find them but I just looked some photos the I took of a faraway flock of Barrow's Goldeneye and to my surprise there was one male Harlequin among them. Regretfully I didn't go to that area and went to the other side of Ambleside to try and find them. There were a lot more people with dogs on the east side though I did get to see some common mergansers and a pigeon murrelet

There was also a small raft of Barrow's Goldeneyes around the pier at John Lawson Park. I was able to get closer photos as they swam under the pier and didn't notice my presence.

I'll upload post some photos tomorrow along with a few from the previous day at my local pond (Fraser Glen in Surrey). Unfortunately a lot of the shots today came out blurry - the image stabilizer on my lens sometimes freaks out...

Jewill- looks good for the Western Flycatcher - th[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]