This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
By Elotto
To duck hunt in most places in the lower mainland you need to be part of a club and pay high yearly dues. Boundary Bay is one of the last non member (free) duck hunting spots in the lower mainland. Also the chances of people being shot by the duck hunters is miniscule. There are signs posted that hunting is allowed in the marsh, they are big and blue. There is one at 72nd for example.

Eric
Deon wrote:I'm not anti-gun, and I own a few rifles for target shooting, but I find it bordering on the bizarre that shooting of any kind is allowed in that area. One would think there's enough open country further away to enjoy shooting sports.
walker wrote:This is a very well visited area and since the population of the lower mainland has grown and more of the public is active even in the winter months, this archaic bylaw needs to be changed so that the areas of hunting are not so close to the general public. In this day and age people walking with guns toward you in a public area is of concern, even if most are responsible. Also, because this is an area of many endangered species, the animals around should not be disturbed by the loud noise of gunshot. There are many other places people can go and hunt that do not infringe so much on the general public and wildlife.

Hunters hunt for the same reasons you bird, it's their hobby.

As much as you enjoy your hobby they enjoy theirs, so it's rather unfair handing out the flack - that many of you are handing out on here.

Have a look at this map.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hu ... 012Web.pdf

Now take a really close look at how much land is allocated to the wildfowl hunters of the lower mainland, then have a quick look at the amount of land allocated as protected / non shooting status in the area (everything in red), for you to peruse your hobby.

I'm not trolling here, I'm simply stating facts - hunting is a Canadian tradition,Hunters have been active in the boundary bay area for 100 years or more, the city of Delta realizes it, and will keep the areas in it's jurisdiction open to hunters for the 108 days a year that they are legally allowed to hunt, the other 257 days of the year, are there for the birders and dog walkers on the boundary bay dykes.

Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/G-FZdIrKyBk
By walker
burowingowl wrote:...
You are also obviously very passionate about your hobby to make an account on a bird watching forum just to post that. Regardless, your post does outline the current law, and the map is something that all birders should be aware of for safety reasons.

The debate surrounding hunting and public safety quickly diverges into ideological territory, and the internet has repeatedly proven to be a bad place for that discussion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Now lets get back to discussing the beauty and diversity of birds at Boundary Bay.
By Hoss
The effect on animals aside, the risk of a non-hunter getting shot accidentally by a bird hunter are effectively 0. Hunting accident victims are almost always other hunters. I'd worry more about getting shot in Surrey or East Van than in Delta.
Hoss wrote:The effect on animals aside, the risk of a non-hunter getting shot accidentally by a bird hunter are effectively 0. Hunting accident victims are almost always other hunters. I'd worry more about getting shot in Surrey or East Van than in Delta.

This is very true.

If the banging from the shotguns, or the mere presence of the hunters threatned the many, many birds of prey, and other wild life in the boundary bay marshes - then why are they still there in such great numbers?

Are they all deaf by any chance?

Something dosent seem cosher, with all the "knee-[...]" statements bandied about on here.

Don't get me wrong, I love the place, I go there all the time throughout the year - what upsets me most is the sheer ignorance of the public, I mean how hard is it really to clean up after yourself or your dog?

And finally from Iona Beach Park, there were a few[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]