This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
By MDB8
Driving back to Vancouver I had a satisfied feeling. Two Lifers and some other nice photos taken. I had even found a flock of a half dozen or so Clark's Nutcrackers at elevation and managed a few OK photos of some of the flock members.

I stopped at the Manning Park Resort to use as a Rest Area after driving 300 km or so.

While walking a pathway, I saw a teenager walking towards me eating some Cheesies or similar snack out of the bag. Suddenly a gray bird drifted down to the teenager from a nearby tree, landing at his feet right in front of him. The bird made eye contact and looked plaintively at the bag.

The teenager got the hint, pulled a cheese snack out of the bag, knelt down and offered it to the bird. The bird hopped over and took the snack from the teenager's hand and flew away.

Immediately another gray bird flew down and the process was repeated.

At that point I detoured back to my car and got my camera. I returned and watched the drama continue. I saw that the birds were taking the Cheesies to the ground level at the trunk of a nearby tree and burying them, carefully covering them up (Ravens were sitting above watching the proceedings).

Unlike the birds I had seen at elevation, these birds took no notice of camera shutters. They even posed for me.

Must be a variant.

I think I'll name them as "Mike's Cheesecrackers".

More photos on the Flickr page.
By Flight
Manning Park is amazing, thanks for the story.

And finally from Iona Beach Park, there were a few[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]