This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By revs
I headed out to Ambleside park in West Van this morning (Saturday) to twitch the Little Gull first reported by Jess Findlay and others friday afternoon.
Just before the rain began dumping, the small group of birders i was looking with spotted the little (NA's smallest actually) gull waay out on the Stanley Park side of the water.
The spotting birder hollered out the landmarks while tracking the bird and i got a bead on the bird and fired off a few blurry shots, score.
Later i got some closer shots on the Ambleside side and i believe the second shot to be the Little Gull in question (first shot was confirmed on site), note the smudgy cap, when comparing with the similar Bonaparte's.
Hope i got the ID right (4th from right), confirmation would be nice :)

By IanL
I saw one of these guys on the beach at Ambleside this morning while out for a casual stroll. I passed within 20 feet of it before I realized this one was different from the others. It seemed quite content to preen itself and paid me little attention.

I'm not big on gulls but this one is quite delicate and lovely. Definitely worth a look.

Also a big raft of American Widgeon hauled themselves out of the water to feed on the grass. Some Goldeneye were also present but stuck to the water. ;)

All the best,

Ian.

And finally from Iona Beach Park, there were a few[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]