This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By taniab
How important is it to understand tree species and what types of birds it might attract?

I was made painfully aware of my lack of knowledge surrounding tree species just recently. On our way to Reifel we noticed a bunch of photographers and birders crowding around a forested area off the side of the road so of course we went to see what the commotion was about. A super nice photographer was nice enough to try to point out the location of the owl for us, who was slightly hidden at the time. In his explanation, the photog said he was on the "alder". I look... and look... and think to myself... what the heck is an alder?! I was too embarassed to ask, but luckily the beautiful bird took flight shortly after and landed somewhere I could see LOL.

Long story aside, how beneficial is learning tree species to birding? Any recommendations on good websites/publications?
By Guy L. Monty
Good morning Tania,

Being that species have preferences for certain types of habitats, and some are even tied to specific species of plants and trees, some basic knowledge of other aspects of natural history can be of great help in birding. And as with birds, the more you learn, and the closer you look, the more you will be amazed at how much you have been missing in ignoring what is all around you.

In BC we have a low diversity of trees, and it shouldn't take more than a morning to learn them all.

good luck, and enjoy the learning,

Guy L. Monty
Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, BC
By birdterp
Tree Id can be helpful for exactly the situation you describe: The X bird is in the Y tree. This could happen when you are trying to point a bird out to someone in the field, or when they are trying to point it out to you. People might also use a distinctive tree in a abird report, like the recent white winged crossbils seen at burnaby Lake in the large Sitka Spruce on the Conifer Loop trail.

The province has a great little Id book called simply "Tree Book". I think it used to be free, but now it is just a free download, or you can order a hard copy for $10. http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/library/do ... /treebook/

I loaded the pdf download onto my iphone, and it is a pretty handy resource.

Sibley also has a large fieldguide to the trees of North America, but unlike bird guides I find that local version of plant guides usually suit me fine. Rare asian vagrants are far less likely and if they do occur they're much easier to refind and photograph. :lol:
By taniab

I did see Tree Book last night, I downloaded the PDF but silly laptop decided it didn't like it and wouldn't open it. I'll retry again tonight.

Thanks for the advice, I can definitely see the value in learning tree species now.

PS. are the white-winged crossbills still at Bby Lake?

And finally from Iona Beach Park, there were a few[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]