This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By fleurymd
My first question and visit to your forum. I moved to a new area last year and this is my first winter. This past week my small yard has had repeated visits from a wonderful and very large heron[ although the dogs are not thrilled.]
This morning I woke to a bird singing, my only description, as it was musical and unlike anything I have heard before. It forced me and the cat to the upstairs window. I saw a pair of birds, about the size of a sm. pidgeon, coloured in a uniform velvetty light brown. There was a hint of other tail colours when they darted about. One attempted to reach the seed in a feeder but appeared clumsy at trying to stay connected to the feeder. Athough seed had fallen on the ground he made no attempt to eat at ground level.
I have searched my books and can only find a dove that looks similar.
Any ideas? I would love some assistance.
Their call was spectacular.
By Jerry
Could it be a Eurasian Collared Dove? Your guide book probably won't show it in BC as they have only moved into the province over the past few years. I have seen them in Fraser Lake through the winter and I understand they have made their way to Whitehorse and they frequent feeders.
Jerry
By Birder2000
I'm not sure about your bird, but if you go to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology website, you can listen to great recordings of birds for all the species in North America. To find a species, type in the name where it says "find" in the top right corner. Make sure you have "bird guide" selected (under the search box).

I hope this helps!
By taniab
Welcome to the forum! I agree with Liron, to try to listen to some bird song recordings to help pinpoint the ID. Good luck!
By fleurymd
Thank you everyone. I will listen to "Cornell" tomorrow. Maybe I'll be lucky and have a return visit.

To Liron...great photos. I'm a Nikon gal. You really have captured their essence.

Bobbi

And finally from Iona Beach Park, there were a few[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]