This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
I thought I would add to the comment that it is disrespectful/inconsiderate to smoke out in public.

Many years ago, I learned that some people are actually allergic to marijuana. I am not sure if it's the THC that people are allergic to or what, but always wondered if just smelling it can cause irritation. If so, it would rather frustrating for someone like that to be enjoying their day at a park and have to turn around because they smell weed in the air. Obviously that is a rather rare scenario, but I did have a school teacher that was allergic so they are out there.

Cheers,
Jeremy Gatten
Saanichton, B.C.
should mention that i have found (from talking to others etc. :wink: ) that reflexes tend to be off a bit when trying to shoot birds after packing a bowl etc. and the persons ( :wink: ) i have talked to typically wait till they have finished for the day before partaking for that very reason.

If you are just out looking at birds, different story, maybe.
I've also heard of the weed causing allergic reactions, but it is not different than any other allergy... some people have it worse than others, but the second hand smoke of any plant doesn't cause people to react. Weed pollen gets in the air like other plants, so you'd have to handle the plant or pick the fruit to have a reaction. Smoking it also causes allergic reactions to some (these can be the most severe reactions); I could be wrong or misinformed but I haven't come across any research to think a whiff would trigger a reaction...

I also wanted to mention, though some unfortunately feel disrespected by those who smoke in parks, many neighbours feel the same about those smoking at home. There in lies a dilemma. :mrgreen: The replies in this thread are helpful in this manner to gauge the vibe of the birders' views and how to maximize consideration when birding.

The irony for myself and some of my friends is that smoking the weed outdoors is what led to the curiosity of these peculiar and fascinating creatures called birds. I can now see why hippies love nature so much! Appreciation breeds understanding. It seems to me that hippies are environmentalists for the same reasons birders are: appreciation! :D

...On a different note, I'd really don't appreciate those cedar waxwings always drinking in our parks. Some of them even drink and fly!! :lol: :lol:
I always try to avoid kids when I smoke (they don't have choice where they go) but I've also found many adults will go out of their way to stand next to you then give a smoker grief about smoking. For those naysayers, here's a case and point, a few falls ago I hiked to Cabin Point in East Sooke Park, the largest park near Victoria. Cabin point lies midway along the close to 10km coastal trail, it's windy, open, and about as far from people as you could expect to be. Our group of "rugged" hikers quickly immolated the various combustibles we'd brought with us (we're all allergic to too much oxygen). A few minutes later a fit couple walk up and sit 15 feet behind us giving us disapproving looks and fake coughing before one of them asks us if we can go somewhere else - Bad idea buddy. There's miles of rocky shore, hundreds of potential spots to sit and breathe easy but this dork chose to sit behind me and tell me off for my bad habit. Long story short, I told him he should curb his habit of being a dork (not the word I actually used) and vacate (also not the word I used) or at least find somewhere else in the 3500 acre park to spend ten minutes without stepping on someone else's toes to avoid being told off.
I agree with keeping smoking away from doorways, urban parks, public spaces etc. But there should be a limit if you're in the middle of nowhere.

And finally from Iona Beach Park, there were a few[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]