This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
Hi every one I am going up to Tie lake up in Cranbrook the middle of july I want to do some birding does any one know what type of birds I will find and some good birding spots.... thanks for all your help....
I grew up in Cranbrook and its where I started birding. Its a great place for a variety of species as the east kootenays have a lot of different habitats.
Though in July its not exactly the best time for birds im sure you can find some good birds.

For starters and probably my favourite place in the world, Elizabeth Lake. Ive seen over 140 species there. Its located right at the edge of Cranbrook off the highway coming in from Creston.
Black Tern nest there, lots of waterbirds breed as well.
The forests surrounding the lake containts almost all the Warbler Species of the interior. I found a nesting waterthrush one summer, as well as American Redstart.

Another good location would be the Cranbrook Community Forest. They have Black-backed Woodpeckers though not sure if they nest there, i used to see them alot in Winter/Fall. Theres a trail that starts at the other end of Cranbrook going toward Alberta. Its called Isadore Canyon, its good for Flycatchers, Vesper Sparrow, Nashville Warbler.

The Cranbrook Sewage Lagoons might have something worthwhile, I dont know if its still accessible but I used to walk around them and find good birds/rarities.

Theres a park in Kimberly that has had Williamsons Sapsucker, think its just called their Community Forest but not totally sure. Kimberly would be good for more higher elevation birds, Drive to St. Mary's lake and bird around there.

Theres good birding arount the St. Marys Native Reserve and Whycliff. Grassland species like Clay-Coloured Sparrow and I have seen Brewers Sparrow as well.
Also around Fort Steele there are Wild Turkey.

I would check out the Wasa lake area they have sloughs on the side of the highway that are always good for birds, as well as Bummers Flats.

If your going to be around the Tie Lakes, I would suggest driving Bull River Road, Ive seen Golden Eagle there as well as theres quite a bit of Wildlife, including Elk and Bighorn Sheep.

Hope this helps, there is a BCINTBIRDS group on yahoo that you should join that would probably be willing to take out out birding or give you some tips as well.

Have fun though, I miss cranbrook alot especially when im birding in vancouver dodging joggers and unleashed dogs.

-Ryan
Something else to watch out for is badger. It was many years ago, but it is the only place I have seen them. It was just east of town on the highway. I don't know what the likelihood is today, but worth watching for. They are endangered and rare in BC.

And finally from Iona Beach Park, there were a few[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]