This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
On the third of March, I went out to the Reifel Bird Sanctuary on Westham Island in Delta, BC. Before arriving at the sanctuary, I stopped at the Westham Island Bridge (Canoe Pass) to see what birds were around.

There were Bald Eagles everywhere. The pair on the nest at that spot was around, but many other eagles were perched in other nearby trees:

Here the pair of eagles are calling at the eagle passing by behind the nest:

Eagles in other trees:

A juvenile eagle had picked up and already dead bird and was eating it. A couple other birds tried to steal the prey, but the original eagle managed to keep the dead bird for itself.

This eagle was also present nearby the feeding eagle:

Other than the eagles, some waterbirds were also around. Mallards, American Wigeons, Double-crested Cormorants, and Green-winged Teals stopped by. I took some photos of the teals:

In the distance I now saw a Eurasian Wigeon, an uncommon visitor to the Lower Mainland each year. Although this bird is more common in Eurasia, we always get a few on the coast of BC each year. The bird moved closer and I took some photos of the beautiful bird:

I now continued to the sanctuary. There was one Black-crowned Night-heron in the usual spot for them by the entrance, but a bit farther up two more were with a Great Blue Heron. All three herons were alert of an eagle perched in a nearby tree. I took some photos:

There were lots more Great Blue Herons around, including this one:

I continued walking into the sanctuary, and stopped to watch some songbirds feeding on the ground. I took photos of them:

Spotted Towhee

Song Sparrow

In the outer areas of the sanctuary, I counted about 35-40 Trumpeter Swans from the top of the blue tower. Closer than the swans were many waterbirds including these guys:

Northern Shovelers with a few Green-winged Teals:

Northern Shoveler closer up:

I continued to walk and eventually came to the area where you can easily see Northern Saw-whet Owls. Here is a photo of one of the owls, sleeping:

Just before I left I checked on the herons that had been alert at the beginning of my visit. They were still there, but sleeping:

It had been a great visit.

Thanks for looking!
Hello, Liron;

Great series of photos! :)

I love the variety of the birds you shot.

Because I'm from the Okanagan, I have never seen a Black-crowned Night-heron. :(
Ah,well. I'll get to the Lower Mainland one of these days.

Speaking of the Eurasian Wigeon you shot; in Kelowna, we have three of those rare birds in one spot! When I figure out Flickr and get all of my pictures organized, I'll post the series of photos I shot.

Have a good day,

Logan :D
Very nice photographs Liron. You got a much better look at the Saw-whet then I did in February. I also missed the night heron the day I was there. Again nice shots. Keep up the good work.
Is this some kind of thrush?

Thx!!

Anna's fantail

Anna's Hummingbird captured in an Oak Bay alleyway[…]

2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

Great adds, everyone! I was able to capture a few[…]

My first post!

A Song Sparrow (singing?) taken at Willows Beach V[…]