This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
Hey everyone,

I joined the Birding in BC forums awhile ago, primarily to help with identification of some birds of prey I had seen around town, and was really pleased with how helpful everyone was. I've been spending more and more time on here marveling at everyone's fantastic photos and recently decided to buy a camera and supplement my love of birding with photography, so I thought I'd share my first set of edited shots (of birds or anything else, really).

I went out to Reifel about a month ago and took some photos, but being so green, the photos didn't turn out very well. I did get to see a wild Saw-whet and Great Horned Owl for the first time, which was an absolute treat (as I had previously only ever seen an injured Great Horned at OWL and wild Barn Owls). Afterward, I went out and about in Delta, and did manage to snap this shot of a Short-eared Owl that I'm really happy with:

I also took some shots of Snowies, but they were so far from where I was that I was unable to get any shots of value. Additionally I saw a few Baldies, a Merlin, and, of course, some Harriers.

I returned to Delta two weeks later on a better day weather-wise and the Snowies were MUCH closer, so I was able to get some decent shots:

Also saw this guy prancing around and tried desperately to get him in a shot with one of the Snowies, but alas, no luck:

Anyways, just thought I'd share and hopefully get some feedback. I literally have taken this Nikon D3100 out about 3 times shooting ANYTHING, and just twice to shoot birds (for probably under 4 hours total). Currently working with the 70-300mm VR zoom, and hoping to improve when I get more time to practice.

Cheers all!

-Justin
I liked your photo of the short eared Owl, it has an element of difference, the rouffled feathers on its head. The Coyote is a bit of surprise I had not seen one in all the visits I made but it makes complete sense that they would be out there also.
You have great camera and lens combo, you will be able to get some wonderful photos with that. Photos that do not turn out are valuable in that they teach you what not to do. Why do they no work? What can you do to make that photo better? They are great learning tools.
You said the most important word of all at the very end of your posting "practice" We all need to practice, whether you have been shooting for 40 years, 15 years or 15 days, you need to exercise your eye and the way you look at the world. The best advice I was given was to photograph something every day. Does not matter what but then look at what you have shot and see what you can do to improve it.
There are people who post on this site who are incredible and just viewing their photos can teach you something. Practice.
I like the Short-eared owl pic, and the coyote, too. Looks like you saw it before it saw you. Anything to add about how you got that shot or what it was doing?
Glad you all enjoyed the shots so far. Excited to get out and practice everyday.
RainshadowCoast wrote:I like the Short-eared owl pic, and the coyote, too. Looks like you saw it before it saw you. Anything to add about how you got that shot or what it was doing?
The coyote had seen me about 30 minutes before I took the shot, but didn't seem to pay much attention to me as I was at a distance. It disappeared into the brush, but 30 minutes later when I took this particular shot he was moving between two patches of tall grass with his head down, and I was again at a distance. Had time to snap five shots of him before he had more cover, and I liked this one the best because of his trotting stance.
Is this some kind of thrush?

Thx!!

Anna's fantail

Anna's Hummingbird captured in an Oak Bay alleyway[…]

2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

Great adds, everyone! I was able to capture a few[…]

My first post!

A Song Sparrow (singing?) taken at Willows Beach V[…]