This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By Brad
It has been great to observe from a quiet distance all of your fantastic photography. I have't posted in a long time, mostly since I rarely get the chance to do any birding. However, now that summer break is here, I do get more opportunities, which I'm very thankful for!

I took this photo up in Smithers, BC. It's not a great photo, but it is a lifer for me. Is it perhaps a Pacific-Slope Flycatcher? There are several other species that have similar markings, so I'm a little stumped!

Thanks for your help! (I'm hoping the picture uploads; it's been a while...)

Image[/img]
By LoganLalonde
I agree with Isaac; the long tail, colour to the belly, longer body, heavier head, distinct double wing bars, and larger bill points to an Empidonax Flycatcher. Hammond's are more common in the Smithers area, but Dusky are local in the right habitat. What did the forest look like where this bird was? The tree it is in looks like a Douglas Fir. Do you have any other pictures of other angles of the bird?

Thanks and welcome back! :)

Logan
By Brad
Hi there,

Thank you all for your help; you too, Mel - you've helped me ID species many times, particularly on Flikr!

I wish I did have another pose of this little bird. It was very quick and so I didn't have time to get a good shot or two. He was perched in a Fir tree, though the surrounding area is primarily Birch trees.

I appreciate the help! Happy birding, all! :D

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]