This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By Matyas13
Hi Everyone,

I was at Robert Lake today, and saw 5 sandpipers on the shore. Very small, and distinctly tell that most are Semipalmated but just want to make sure!

Thanks
Matyas
By Birder2000
Hi Matyas,

All these birds look like Least Sandpipers expect for the second last one, which is a Semipalmated Sandpiper. A great indicator for Least Sandpiper are the yellow legs. They can be tough to see from a distance and sometimes get covered up by mud, but you can tell that the legs are yellow in these photos.

Semipalmated Sandpipers are a larger bird than Least Sandpipers, and you will notice that most of the ones that pass through here lack a lot of the colour that other peeps like Least Sandpipers have. They are typically more drab. They have black legs and a slightly thicker bill than Least Sandpipers, and are also much less dark on the breast, as you can see in your photos.

I hope this helps! :)
By rawalker
I would have actually called the second last one a least sandpiper as well - it looks like the legs are yellow at the top with mud on the lower part of the legs.

After some tough thinking, I decided to dump Cano[…]

We finally got a break in the weather (at least fo[…]

Unknown Bird At Iona Beach Outer Pond

Alright, thank you very much for your expertise!

Thanks, Judy, for the info. Now that you have give[…]