This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.

I tried to use http://merlin.allaboutbirds.org/photo-id/ to auto identify birds taken, but they say their computers are down.

Where else I can help myself identify birds? Using books would be very difficult.
This bird is a European Starling, a introduced bird to Vancouver.

You can check Cornell's All About Birds website, or similar online databases.
Books are quite helpful sometimes and certain books which focus on BC's Birds can narrow the species down quite a bit - and most books separate them by family, and sometimes you can narrow it down by the shape and structure of the bird. For the color of the bird, Starlings can be very tricky since they can look different from the angle of the sun on their feathers, as males can look black to purple and females or immature birds look a little white sometimes. A telltale starling sign for me is small pointy yellow beak combined with the odd feathers. Also, the habitat of the bird is another sign. Starlings have colonized vancouver and often feed on human scraps, and a lot of the time, on golf courses and other fields for bugs.

Hope this helps, Adam

Great Website!
About a year ago this beginner birder saw a flock of these feeding in the seaweed on Stanley Park rocks at low tide. I checked two bird books and several on-line resources and was unable to identify them- until I came to this site for help.
I was certainly familiar with the starlings that scavenge on Granville Island but their behaviour by the water threw me off. Clearly they are a very adaptable bird!
bird cries help

Juvenile ravens do make some crazy sounds as well.

Here's a Red Crossbill from Vancouver yesterday. […]

Sorry, forgot to include a price. I would like $4[…]

Anna's Feeding Chick

Thanks for sharing. I think you meant "trick[…]