This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By bluesky
Just a shot in the dark here as I was unable to get a photo, but in case anyone else was in the vicinity this afternoon and made a positive ID, or has seen and positively ID'd a very large hawk in the area of Lost Lagoon recently... I'd love to hear about it.

This handsome creature looked far too big to be a Cooper's/Sharp-Shinned but shared many of the markings of the juvenile of both species. Brown upperparts, white/cream breast, brown streaks on breast that stopped well before the legs, very long tail. My best guess based on size alone is a female Northern Harrier or juvenile Goshawk but I know both are uncommon and have never seen either before... has anyone seen either of those in the area?
jewill wrote: Mar 12 8:38 am Juvenile Red-tailed Hawk?
Could be a bunch of possible species. The lower mainland gets all sorts of wintering raptors and right now, some raptors are beginning their spring migration and show up in weird places. I think with the brown colouring you described, we can consider that this may be a juvenile bird and yes, juvenile red-tailed hawks are more common near the city. Still could be something else.
By bluesky
Thank you, Kevin (and thanks for the great site)... after seeing a few hawks today at the Pitt Wildlife Management Area, including a Red-Tailed from very close range, I'm convinced that what I saw at Stanley Park was a Harrier or Goshawk. It was so much larger than any of the other species with similar plumage. I'll be posting photos in the future!

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]