This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
Yesterday at Anderson Hill Park in Oak Bay, a large all brown eagle flew almost right overhead. No photo, sorry. There was also a white headed, mature, bald eagle toward the ocean. The closer, brown eagle was huge, and it seemed larger than a bald eagle. However, I wasn't able to note enough detail to make a distinction once on Internet sites providing tips for this identification. How common are golden eagles around Victoria? Have any been seen this month?

(newbie to this site btw)
Hi Thiago,

Welcome to the forums! The bird in question is most likely a juvenile Bald Eagle. The marking you are looking for is a white patch on underwing and white tail base.

Golden Eagle in the Capitol Region
https://ebird.org/species/goleag/CA-BC-CP

We do have Golden Eagle on Vancouver Is. however they are rare here in Victoria compared to the numerous Bald Eagle. The last few sightings of Golden Eagle were in February near Goldstream Provincial Park. Golden Eagle prefer wild open country habitats near mountains, hills, riverside cliffs and generally avoid urban, agricultural, and heavily forested areas.

Cheers and good birding,
Thank you! Yes, I guess you are right. I think I'd remember a prominent white patch like that. But next time I can look for it. I'd heard that we are winter range for them. Still, you never know! Thanks again.

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]