This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By DennisM39
I saw these gulls while coming down from Barkley Sound to Victoria last week, somewhere around Carmanah Point Lighthouse. Any suggestions on what they are? The more I look at them the more confused I get because of the leg colours on the immature birds.

I think this might be a California Gull because of the yellow legs and black and red spots on bill? or a Ring-billed?
ImageCalifornia Gull Question by Dennis McMillan, on Flickr

I think the adult may be a Western Gull because of it's dark grey mantle and blackish wingtips?
ImageWestern Gull Question by Dennis McMillan, on Flickr

Western Gull again? Not sure about the others.
ImageWestern Gull 2 Question by Dennis McMillan, on Flickr

Immature Ring-billed Gulls?
ImageRing-billed Gull Question by Dennis McMillan, on Flickr

Thanks!
By BirdingBC
Hi Dennis,

I don't think these are ring-billed gulls. There are juveniles and likely California gull.

Gulls are one of the hardest group to identify as they have numerous plumage stages in their mult-year growth to maturity. Someone with gull expertise could weight in with the specifics on gull age and species. Thinking these are 1-2 yr old juveniles but have not gone through Sibley's yet to narrow it down.
Cheers,
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]