This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
I went to Boundary Bay on sunday to show A friend the Snowy Owls. As I was waiting for him, I walked a little toward 72nd from 64th. I was just casually looking in the trees and bushes on the green house side and noticed something taking a bath in the ditch. I went to snap a photo for an i.d. shot and realized I forgot to take off my lens cap off. By the time I did that and re focused It was gone into the bushes. I waited for a bit to see some movement, but nothing. I Caught my eye immediately because it was very vibrant and I didn't recognize it at all. Here's the best description I can recall from the brief encounter.

- Goldfinch sized (no wing bars)
- whole body bright yellow (like a yellow warbler in summer)
- Slightly darker crown of head and a bit orange?
- No wing bars, chest marks or any other marking I could see/remember.

I'm totally stumped on an i.d. I've checked my stokes guide for all warblers, tangers, or anything else I could think it would be, but I cant see anything. I know most birds would be in winter plumage right now and not be bright yellow, and thats why I'm so puzzled.

Any help or info would be great.

Thanks.
Thank you Monty & BurungGila. I think I saw the same bird yesterday at Boundary Bay and was struggling with identifying it as well. I am new to birding. Though green on top, bright yellow underneath. It was flitting about in the weeds beside the path and seemed much brighter than the descriptions in the books for an Orange Crowned Warbler (and of course I didn't see any orange crown). I also had dismissed it as being too far North. I thought it looked more like a Bell's Vireo but missing the wing bar (and again too far North) But now I think perhaps you are right. Here are a couple of photos I took, one top view and one view upside down, underneath.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40006638@N ... hotostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40006638@N ... otostream/
Last edited by SueCoastalObserver on Jan 02 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I would guess the Orange Crowned warbler would make sense. It seemed quite bright though. Maybe my brain is just making it's own image up? I did only briefly see it and didn't get any photos to confirm.

SueCoastalObserver - your second photo seems the right colour I remember seeing.

Is it uncommon for them to stick around all year?

Thanks everybody!
You're right SueCoastalObserver, that's an Orange-crowned Warblers. Some ID points are the overall yellowish colour and dark eye-line bordered by paler eye arcs.
They are rare in the winter, 1-10 sightings per year according to the e-fauna BC checklist for Vancouver.
On ebird the most recent sightings for O-c Warblers at Boundary Bay was on Dec 14th, so it's definitely possible one tried to overwinter there.
In Victoria orange crowned warblers can be found year round, but in greatly diminished numbers in winter. A handful of Townsend warblers and yellow rumps also stay every winter. Currently a palm warbler is overwintering here as well.
The orange crowns may not be visible, and can even be difficult to see on breeding birds. While most individuals are very dull for winter, some stay rather bright. Last week I found a yellow rumped warbler with a bright yellow throat, cap, and armpits. He was foraging with a group of standard dull winter yellow-rumped warblers.
Your bird is most likely a bright orange crowned warbler.

I don't think we have a Whimbrel yet and although […]