This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
By markj
I had Anna hummingbirds all winter and suddenly they have been gone for like two weeks?

I change and clean the feeder every few days too.

Anyone else have this problem? Anything I can do to bring them back?

Mark
I assume theyre eating insects (not sure which kind) to feed the young. Id love to see the insect hunting process!
Guy L. Monty wrote:Natural food sources are in bloom, and they are nesting.

They will be back, eventually.

Guy L. Monty
Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, BC
They have always nested in the same shrubs / trees right beside the house and we watched them fly in and out. Not this year and I find that very strange. To date I haven't seen any at all where as they have been here in all the years we've been here. I sure hope they come back... I miss the little buggers.
Same here, in that they disappeared instantly almost three weeks ago. A male Anna has been in and out of my yard for the last two days but has no interest in the feeder at all. Stops, has a look, then passes. Guess he can do better elsewhere... I think Guy has it right.

Also, about two weeks ago the temperatures jumped and today it was 18 degrees outside. They usually get very busy in my yard around the middle of April in my area, so I will see see soon enough.
I have been feeding the hummers here for about 35 years now, and have never experienced the Anna's disappearing from the feeders at this time of year. In fact, the feeder activity always increases in late February into March. So much so, that they are emptying two full feeders per day now. I know that they have to actively feed their young with insects, but they also have to keep their own energy up while they are being so active.
I've always experienced the exact opposite Tim. Of course, we have far fewer Anna's Hummingbirds up here, than you have down there. This is probably the main difference in our experiences.

If we assume that a female on eggs is only going to make a few visits a day to a feeder, there is a much greater chance that you will see a bird at a feeder, if there are multiple birds around. If there is only one or two, the chances are much higher that you will miss them entirely at the feeder. This is what I was suggesting.

When the young hatch, the birds will become more active at the feeders again, and when the young fledge, activity should peak.

Guy L. Monty
Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, BC
My wife sent me a text when I was at work and said she noticed one of our cats intensely looking out the window as he lay on the back of the sofa. She continued and saw a hummer perched on the feeder. Image
Mine went away too! I thought something was wrong with the food and changed it, and I seen only a few take a quick sip and then leave....must be nesting or just that the flowers taste better! lol
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]