This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
If you don't normally check your Yahoo emails you might want to now. Looks like we have no choice, move to SmugMug or delete your Flickr account by May 25th. Thoughts?

Here is a copy of the email I received:

We’re excited to announce that Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug, the photography platform dedicated to visual storytellers.
SmugMug has a long history of empowering people who love photography and who want to improve their craft, making them a perfect fit for Flickr and our creative community. With SmugMug, we’ll continue to focus on you, the Flickr members who inspire us all with your work.
Nothing will change immediately with regard to your Flickr account. You will still access Flickr with your current login credentials and you will have the same Flickr experience as you do now. We will continue to work to make your Flickr experience even better.
We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.
If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy.
Read more detailed FAQs about this transition on the Flickr Blog.
We’re happy that Flickr is your home for photography and we look forward to the next chapter in our adventure together as we join the SmugMug family.
Thanks,
The Flickr Team
By jewill
I have every expectation that they will start charging for what is now free or, for Pro members, a very reasonable price. This is similar to what happened to Photobucket. It used to be free, or for $10 a year (yes, a year), you could go ad free and enable 3rd party hosting. Then all of a sudden they wanted $600 US a year for much the same thing but I guess the backlash was swift and severe, so they lowered it to a mere $400 US per year! I don’t think they were bought out by another company, they just decided to “stick it” to all their customers and as a result lost thousands of them (myself included). They now have an “F” rating with the BBB.
Will the same thing happen with Flickr when they transition to SmugMug? I hope not. I don’t mind paying for services rendered, but it must be reasonable and they have to be upfront about it.
The fate of what will happen with the Birds of BC Flickr group is now up in the air. They announce the acquisition but say little on what happens in terms of cost, accounts, groups, etc.

For our sake, lets hope this translation does not offer much disruption and turns out to be a good thing however have to wait and see.

Kevin
By zwest
Too bad.

I've never really trusted these "free" image hosting services because they keep changing/disappearing/wanting money etc. If you have to pay anything at all, you may as well just have your own site!
It may just depend on what the charge is. If a subscription of say $10 / year from members was enough to cover costs, maybe that would be ok. I prefer this site to facebook, though admittedly I have been a lurker far longer than a contributor.
jd
I sent a list of questions about my Flickr Pro account to help@flickr.com
See the response I received below

The only immediate change you can expect is that Flickr will be owned by SmugMug and user accounts will be governed by the SmugMug Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, which I personally believe are exceptionally friendly to photographers!

Your renewal date will not change.

Your albums will not be lost.

Flickr followers will be unchanged.

You’ll still be able to “fave” photos on Flickr.

You’ll still be able to comment on photos.

Your tags will remain unchanged.

You’ll still be able to use the Camera Roll.

Your groups will be unchanged.

Your friends will be unchanged.

I was relieved to hear it would not be changing too much. However it has made me realize it is time to start looking for a system to tag and organize my photos in a way that I am not dependent on someone else who can raise the rates or change the rules any time. Hope this helps you too.
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]