This forum is for the listing of "Wanted" and "For sale" items that are related to birding and natural history.
I don't have a pic to show as my camera that I used is acting up, but the Snow Geese Flock had a Big V then smaller Vs formed in the middle meshing with the big V formation, then another V that wasn't attached to the big V formation! Do (Snow Geese) have more of a loose Flock Formation than (Canadian Geese)? I have yet to see a Cackling Geese Big Flock or Greater White fronted Geese formation! But from my unexperienced eye seems as though the Canadian Geese have a much Tighter V formation than the Snow Geese formations! It could be all variant in different Flocks with different species! Just Curious on peoples thoughts on this? I find the flock formations extremely interesting! Thks in advance.
Hi there,

I must admit that I have not studied this at length or looked into research, but I think all geese are a bit variable. For what it is worth I have seen many flocks of BC Canada, Cackling, Greater White-fronted, and Snow Geese in big V-formations. Typically this is when the flock is undergoing a long-distance flight (high overhead). When shifting feeding fields or lakes etc., the assortment is much more random (e.g. Snow Geese near Reifel, or Cackling Geese in Chilliwack) so perhaps that is a factor. It's also worth noting that some flocks are mixed so I've seen large V's containing 4 species on occasion. One of the most memorable goose experiences I've had was in Tofino a few Aprils ago when thousands upon thousands of Greater White-fronts were passing north overhead in huge V's and W's. If I had watched all day I wonder if I could have cracked 100,000!

While Brant do fly in V's I find them less likely to migrate high overhead like the others (more often 10-100m off the ocean) but that's only from personal experience, not any research.

Russ Cannings
Nanaimo, BC

Hi This is the second email I sent you. I am inter[…]

Cornell Feeder Cam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N609loYkFJo Cor[…]

Dear all, Ptarmigan species in BC ( white-tailed,[…]

Camera Tech

I'm still sitting on the fence WRT the usefulness […]