Greater Victoria, Gulf Islands, Cowichan Valley, Nanaimo and Centrial Island, Port Alberni, Tofino, North Island
I saw a Rufous diving at another hummer trying to chase it away but it held its own and the Rufous was regulated to a different part of the yard, I noticed right away this bird was greener on the back and whiter on front, I thought cool maybe its an Anna's so I setup the camera and took some pictures and when I checked them out I thought this is no Anna's!

Now is he a Ruby-throated or Black-chinned juvenile?

There is one fleck of gorget and it shows up red when lit.

By Guy L. Monty
Hi Martin,

That's a Ruby-throat all right. It's absolutely spectacular! Congrats on a remarkable sighting.

Are you allowing visitors to view the bird?
By Guy L. Monty
Thanks very much Martin.
I'm working up in the Peace region right now, but if it's still around next week, I'll be contacting you for sure! ;-)
By revs
awesome Martin, i've been reading about this on the VIBirds group and it seems to have caused some excitement :D

I'm trying to decide if i should go to Vasaux Lake this weekend to look for Lewis' Woodpecker but maybe i might contact you about this instead.. :)
By campbellrivergal
WOW! Great find and beautifull shots. Nice detail and great close ups. What a great bird to see, thought I saw one about two weeks ago but too far away to really tell. Your shots are excellent and fantastic find. :lol:
Happy birding out there!

Bonnie
http://www.flickr.com/photos/forresterbonnie
By MartinD
revs wrote:awesome Martin, i've been reading about this on the VIBirds group and it seems to have caused some excitement :D

I'm trying to decide if i should go to Vasaux Lake this weekend to look for Lewis' Woodpecker but maybe i might contact you about this instead.. :)
Here is still here today revs, not sitting on perch as much but is showing up once in awhile.

There are other birds around also and the Pileated might even show up.
By MartinD
campbellrivergal wrote:WOW! Great find and beautifull shots. Nice detail and great close ups. What a great bird to see, thought I saw one about two weeks ago but too far away to really tell. Your shots are excellent and fantastic find. :lol:
Happy birding out there!

Bonnie
http://www.flickr.com/photos/forresterbonnie
Hi Bonnie, its been pretty exciting, interesting that you thought you saw one since a friend in Campbell River says he saw one like this one at his place, he came out and took some pictures and is waiting for the one he is thinking of to show up at his place, he has Anna's and Rufous but said the one he saw was different.
By MartinD
As of yesterday morning he is gone, hopefully migrating south.

It was a great experience having a RBA right in my own backyard, got to meet some new people, put some faces to forum names, it was wonderful all around.

Not everyone that came to see got to see him though since he was there in the morning then disappeared, he did the same thing the day before but came back after a few hours so we were hoping all day.

I will post some more pictures in the photography forum.
By H-May
Fantastic captures Martin and I am so appreciative to view this little darling's photographs. How very exciting indeed to have had it share your space for awhile. Lucky man!
By wings
Beautiful photos. Congrats on your special sighting.
Here in Saanich, Victoria BC (lower tip of Vancouver Island) my husband claimed that he saw a hummingbird with a red chest last week (mid-November) and I dismissed it as a male Annas - probably the brownish tones looked red. Couldn't be a ruby-throated and certainly not in November. Well, we spotted him today and my gosh - yes - a brilliant red flash. The Annas were chasing him away (we don't put out a feeder but we have lots of plants which hummingbirds favour all year - right now the sages are in full bloom). Must presume that he is migrating south and stopping to "fill up" before he continues. Have been watching the hummingbirds for over 20 years and have never seen a ruby in our yard before. Are they becoming more common on the Island?
Areas in Chilliwack?

I have to drive out to Chilliwack in about a week.[…]

Just east of the Lonsdale Quay is a breeding colon[…]

Selling Nikon AF-S 300mm f/2.8 Lens

After contemplating for a long time I have decided[…]

A Few More from Colombia...

Wonderful set of shots. Thank you.