Looking for something to shoot? Find challenges and assignments here.
Finally filmed the Rusty Blackbird. I have visited this bird a number of times since Jan 01 as it is near my house. Took many photos and videos however this bird does not stay still and often the lighting is poor. Anyways, finally have a good enough clip to share.

Next video target was a Blue Jay (a rare bird for Victoria) and I spent a couple hours with a number of birders chasing it around the UVic Campus (don't worry, the Blue Jay moving around because it was being chased by a flock of birders, it was doing is own thing regardless of people in the area.) Anyway, this bird had its entourage of birders out in force!

So, as I was leaving, I joined Keith Taylor (long time Victoria birder and the author of the Vancouver Island Birding Guide) for the hike back to our vehicles out on Henderson Rd, outside Uvic where there is free parking ('cheep' pun?). Anyway, along the way back to our car, Keith spotted this Great-Horned Owl. I have a couple clips but though it was a rare treat to be able to share this clip of the Owl, with Keith talking about owls with another birder in the background. Enjoy!

Good birding,
Ok ... it's not too clear ... I'll try for a better video ... but here's a Red-tailed Hawk to add to the collection! You can hear it calling about three ... plus you can hear the annoying little dog next door.
lol.
James
stumblingpiper wrote: Jan 27 10:36 pmYou can hear it calling about three ... plus you can hear the annoying little dog next door.
Oh how I love to hear the scream of a Red-tailed Hawk. It’s so haunting. Loons have a beautiful call as well.
Have you ever noticed that whenever a raptor appears on screen the call that is almost always dubbed in is a Red-tailed Hawk? I’ve seen Eagles and even Vultures making RTHA calls. It’s what a raptor should sound like according to the directors.
stumblingpiper wrote: Jan 27 10:36 pm Ok ... it's not too clear ... I'll try for a better video ... but here's a Red-tailed Hawk to add to the collection! You can hear it calling about three ... plus you can hear the annoying little dog next door.
lol.
Awesome James! Love it and capturing the bird calls is exactly what I was hoping for!
jewill wrote: Jan 28 10:11 am
stumblingpiper wrote: Jan 27 10:36 pmYou can hear it calling about three ... plus you can hear the annoying little dog next door.
Oh how I love to hear the scream of a Red-tailed Hawk. It’s so haunting. Loons have a beautiful call as well.
Have you ever noticed that whenever a raptor appears on screen the call that is almost always dubbed in is a Red-tailed Hawk? I’ve seen Eagles and even Vultures making RTHA calls. It’s what a raptor should sound like according to the directors.
haha. I never thought about that, but you're right! Red-tailed Hawk, Loon, and Great Horned Owl--all beautiful calls.
Kevin -- I'll keep trying for a couple more closer in ...
I know I said closer in ... lol ... but here are between 50 and a 100 Bohemian Waxwings that were hanging out in the neighborhood a couple of days ago ... you might call their movements a quote unquote Murmuration. haha

stumblingpiper wrote: Jan 29 8:38 am I know I said closer in ... lol ... but here are between 50 and a 100 Bohemian Waxwings that were hanging out in the neighborhood a couple of days ago ... you might call their movements a quote unquote Murmuration. haha
I love watching Birds "Murmurate?" ... The larger the flock the better. Have some Finches that do "murmurations" here once in a while.
Great to see the Video list growing. Bohemian Waxwings are good birds as do not get them in Victoria. We did have a GBHE but happy to update this list with Berdesdan's version. Love hearing the stories behind the photos/video footage!
BirdingBC wrote: Jan 29 11:40 am Great to see the Video list growing. Bohemian Waxwings are good birds as do not get them in Victoria. We did have a GBHE but happy to update this list with Berdesdan's version. Love hearing the stories behind the photos/video footage!
Oops, I missed that...
Here is the local barred owl that is usually present at Blenkensop Lake, Victoria

The barred owl hangs out in the fir trees just east of the boardwalk. I have seen it fairly regularly and it does not appear to be bothered by all the people/bikes that travel the Lochside trail. This clip was taken around noon on Feb 05, 2021.
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]