Looking for something to shoot? Find challenges and assignments here.
stumblingpiper wrote:Judy - that Chestnut-backed Chickadee photo ... so awesome! Jealous of that one ... it's on my list for this year!
Thanks James. I get quite a few of them at the feeder, not as many as the more aggressive Black-capped Chickadees, but a good number so I think they must be breeding in the green space.
Zach, you got another of my nemesis birds - 1st the Willet (it won’t) and now the Red Knot (not!). One of these days.
James I love the California Quail pair - they are so cute with their little head plumes.
I think we’re doing really well so far, so keep ‘em coming. New posters are welcome
BirdingBC wrote:Adding my ruby-crowned kinglet that I video'd today.
That’s a nice pic, and video too, of a bird that I find very difficult to photograph. I no sooner get one lined up and in focus and “poof!” it’s gone!
jewill wrote: Jan 15 8:28 pm That’s a nice pic, and video too, of a bird that I find very difficult to photograph. I no sooner get one lined up and in focus and “poof!” it’s gone!
Thanks! I was really fortunate as my camera does not have the greatest zoom (480x max) and this kinglet was right out in the sun in front of me. I missed it flashing its ruby crown which is was doing when I spotted it. I have passed numerous golden-crowned kinglet since Jan 01 and they have always been too active to photograph, so filming was definitely a pipe dream.
Great photos zwest. Nice to get those harder to find species!

Here is the Rusty Blackbird that has been flocking with brewer's blackbirds at King's Pond, Victoria, BC
ImageRusty Blackbird (Euphagus carolinus) (f) by Kevin Slagboom, on Flickr

This female rusty blackbird is easy to find/view as the flock arrives everytime someone feeds the ducks at King's Pond. All the wild birds here have been habituated to people (families feeding ducks, walkers and joggers going by) and most will not scare. You actually have to be careful of not tread on a mallard--they often do not get out of the way.

And today's bonus bird is Iceland Gull (Thayer's) that was standing in a puddle up at UVic.
ImageIceland Gull (Larus glaucoides thayeri) by Kevin Slagboom, on Flickr

Good birding,
Hiya,

New to the forum and this is my first post also!

Here's a brant for you from yesterday at the Tsawwassen jetty (it was my first time there). I had never seen so many of them up close! Guessing there's a nice bed of eelgrass right there?

Wow! Awesome, everyone ... Zach, that Gyrfalcon is on my list for this year, too. As well as the Brandt (Bratsche - thank you!) and Rusty Blackbird (Kevin, we are up to 18+ different bird videos!)

If only they'd hang out here in Kelowna. haha.
James
I spent about 30 minutes on the patio this afternoon having a coffee. All of the usual visitors were there but these were the only 2 additions to the list.

ImageBewick's Wren by Jewill on Flickr

ImageDowny Woodpecker (Female) by Jewill on Flickr
The male was around too but he wasn't being very cooperative. You can see all of the damage the squirrels have done to the suet feeder...varmints :evil:.
Last edited by jewill on Jan 18 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stumblingpiper wrote: Jan 14 11:12 pmI took my wife out for some special bird-watching -- we went to the Dump.
I was re-reading some of the posts from last week. I missed this the first time and I just can’t let it go.
You’re such a romantic James! :lol:
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]