Looking for something to shoot? Find challenges and assignments here.
One more from me today - I seem to have an easier time with waterfowl since they don't have all those branches in the way! :D

Back at Colony Farm, a nice pair of American Widgeons.

Thanks for the welcome! I am glad to have found this board and community!
Today turned out to be spectacular - sunny, cool with a bit of a wind blowing. Compared to what we've been suffering through lately it was a welcome relief. I went to Piper Spit at Burnaby Lake and found quite a few additions to the list:

In keeping with my theme of male & female in the same shot (that will be common with today's post):
ImageGreen-winged Teal (Male & Female) by Jewill on Flickr

ImageAmerican Coot by Jewill on Flickr

ImageNorthern Pintail (Male) by Jewill on Flickr

ImageWood Duck (Male & Female) by Jewill on Flickr

ImageMallard (Male & Female) by Jewill on Flickr

ImageLesser Scaup (Male) by Jewill on Flickr

ImageRing-necked Duck (Male) by Jewill on Flickr

Our definitely not native to BC but never-the-less still famous local celebrity Trevor (I don't know who named him).
ImageMandarin Duck (Male) by Jewill on Flickr

Since no one else has posted one of these yet here you go. How do I know it's a male & female? Let's just say that events that transpired immediately after this picture was taken lead me to that conclusion :oops:.
ImageRock Pigeon (Male & Female) by Jewill on Flickr

ImageLong-billed Dowitcher by Jewill on Flickr

The Merlin birding app id's this as a California Gull. I'll go with that unless someone can prove otherwise.
ImageCalifornia Gull by Jewill on Flickr

Sorry to hog the thread but it was a really good outing. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice weather too so I think I'll hit up Brydon Lagoon...stay tuned.
In honor of the Rock Pigeon "coup" (lol), I was out and about today ... Picked up this Eurasian-Collared Dove and the Mourning Dove. I also saw a California Quail, but my photos were a little blurry ... they'll be around plenty this summer! lol.

stumblingpiper wrote: Jan 13 5:51 pm
Berdesdan wrote: Jan 13 1:12 pm Bald Eagle or Golden Eagle? (Merlin is giving up both)
Berdesdan -- I would probably lean toward a Bald Eagle. I'll put it on the list and maybe we can add another photo of both later!
Thanks, I was also leaning towards a Bald Eagle. I should have just called it as a Bald Eagle. but was maybe too eager (and I thought I could edit the post when corrected ... ).
As planned I did make it out to Brydon Lagoon in Langley this morning, plus a couple of other spots too. The weather was not as good as it was yesterday but it wasn't raining so I'll take it!

ImageWhite-crowned Sparrow by Jewill on Flickr

ImageIceland Gull by Jewill on Flickr

ImageCommon Goldeneye (Male) by Jewill on Flickr

I then headed to Crescent Beach and intended to hit up Blackie Spit as well but the parking lot was closed because they are finally filling in some of the enormous potholes. All I have to show for it is this distant shot of a RNGR -
ImageRed-necked Grebe by Jewill on Flickr

My final stop was at Elgin Park just because it's on the way home from Crescent Beach. An interesting note - if I'm not mistaken there are now 2 Yellow-billed Loons! Both are juveniles and both were on the far side of the river and while I did get a picture of both of them in the same frame I won't post it because we already have a YBLO for the list.
Edit: it seems I was mistaken :o. One of them was a Common Loon...oh well.
Anyway here's a Greater Yellowlegs as a consolation prize -
ImageGreater Yellowlegs by Jewill on Flickr

Back at home I got this Chestnut-backed Chickadee waiting for his turn at the suet feeder -
ImageChestnut-backed Chickadee by Jewill on Flickr

I got a Mourning Dove too but James you beat me to it! Actually there were 3 of them hanging around so dare I hope that there was both a male and female present :mrgreen:.
Nice grouping, Judy! That was a good outing ... I like your Red Knot, too, Zach. haha.
I took my wife out for some special bird-watching -- we went to the Dump. Of course, the landfill always delivers for me!
The first bird we saw was this Red-tailed Hawk ...

He flew and gave us this nice back view ( a little fuzzy ... sorry ).

We were there around lunchtime, so this little American Kestrel was having a snack!
I should have taken a video, Kevin, but I forgot ... not in the habit yet!

We saw a few Ravens and a lot of Mallards ... and caught this immature Bald Eagle way up in the tree.

Since we were in the area, we popped over by Robert's Lake and collected the Canada Goose for our list. lol.

Finally, on the way back home, fortunate enough to catch this Red-tailed Hawk in the neighborhood.

And back at the old homestead ... the California Quail decided to hang out!
Image (M-F Option, Judy! :mrgreen: )
Berdesdan wrote: Jan 14 12:01 pm
stumblingpiper wrote: Jan 13 5:51 pm
Berdesdan wrote: Jan 13 1:12 pm Bald Eagle or Golden Eagle? (Merlin is giving up both)
Berdesdan -- I would probably lean toward a Bald Eagle. I'll put it on the list and maybe we can add another photo of both later!
Thanks, I was also leaning towards a Bald Eagle. I should have just called it as a Bald Eagle. but was maybe too eager (and I thought I could edit the post when corrected ... ).
Haha. I know what you mean ... I posted an immature Bald Eagle two years ago as a "Golden Eagle." Zach corrected my observation ...
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]