Looking for something to shoot? Find challenges and assignments here.
Judy, I must say I have really enjoyed reading your nuggets of wisdom you have passed on every now and then, the latest being the way you identify male vs. female varied thrushes. My goodness, you should teach a course!
In comparison to Judy's learned response to Patricks request for our thoughts on the thrush's sex and maturity, I was simply going to say "It should wait until its an adult."
By jewill
NewWestBirder wrote:Judy, I must say I have really enjoyed reading your nuggets of wisdom you have passed on every now and then, the latest being the way you identify male vs. female varied thrushes. My goodness, you should teach a course!
:oops: Aw…thanks.
See, Pat. It wasn't a duplicate! lol. Nice Rock Pigeon, Randy. Love it. Also, that Dowitcher is cool ... we have enough birds now I should update the list! :D
By zwest
stumblingpiper wrote: Jan 27 11:23 am See, Pat. It wasn't a duplicate! lol. Nice Rock Pigeon, Randy. Love it. Also, that Dowitcher is cool ... we have enough birds now I should update the list! :D
I should mention the Lesser Scaup in my Tufted Duck pic… I don’t think we have that one yet either ;)
By jewill
Once again I spent some time patio birding this afternoon. Nothing too unusual showed up but I did hear the unmistakable hooting of a Barred Owl (I know, this is a photo challenge, not an audio :D). It was nice to know that at least 1 is still around and I hope he/she makes an appearance soon.
I meant to say that I particulary like your Bufflehead Patrick; Randy's Long-billed Dowitcher and Fox Sparrow are very nice as well.
Here are 3 more additions to the list:

Female Spotted Towhee (paler, sort of brownish hood as opposed to the male's jet black hood)
ImageSpotted Towhee (Female) by Jewill on Flickr

The ever-rare :mrgreen: Song Sparrow. This is not the greatest picture because the light was fading but I liked the way it was hiding in the tree among the rain-soaked branches.
ImageSong Sparrow by Jewill on Flickr

Black-capped Chickadee - I haven't seen any Chestnut-backed Chickadees around lately; hopefully they will come back when the weather warms up a bit.
ImageBlack-capped Chickadee by Jewill on Flickr

Cheers!
2023 BC Birding Challenge!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52655551778_[…]