The forum is for information, questions and discussions about locations to go birding within British Columbia.
By Selas
Good morning,
We will be visiting the Osoyoos/Oliver area to bird/wine sample this Friday-Sunday. We are wondering if anyone had any suggestions for current specific spots where we might have a great chance to find these birds:

Lewis' Woodpecker
Williamson's Sapsucker
Lark Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow
Brewer's Sparrow
MacGillivray’s Warbler
Yellow-breasted Chat
Gray Flycatcher
Dusky Grouse
Calliope Hummingbird
Black Swift
Cassin's Finch
Pygmy Nuthatch
Chukar
Sage Thrasher
Western Screech-Owl
Barn Owl
Common Poorwill
(and badgers and mountain goats).

Please PM if you prefer.
Thanks for any help/hints/advice!
By MDB8
An unrealistic request. You're asking for someone to write a small book for you.

Here's a realistic suggestion. Check eBird.org or eBird.ca and study species maps of those birds in which you have an interest. Then choose which ones are feasible for your visit.

Here's such a map for Williamson's Sapsucker.

http://ebird.org/ebird/map/wilsap?neg=t ... 0&eyr=2015
By birdergirl
Selas wrote:Good morning,
We will be visiting the Osoyoos/Oliver area to bird/wine sample this Friday-Sunday. We are wondering if anyone had any suggestions for current specific spots where we might have a great chance to find these birds:

Lewis' Woodpecker
Williamson's Sapsucker
Lark Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow
Brewer's Sparrow
MacGillivray’s Warbler
Yellow-breasted Chat
Gray Flycatcher
Dusky Grouse
Calliope Hummingbird
Black Swift
Cassin's Finch
Pygmy Nuthatch
Chukar
Sage Thrasher
Western Screech-Owl
Barn Owl
Common Poorwill
(and badgers and mountain goats).

Please PM if you prefer.
Thanks for any help/hints/advice!

I will send you a pm with some good locations.

Cheers,

Mel
By Birder2000
All those birds are fairly easy to get in the south OK at this time of year, minus maybe Chukar which are tough in south Okanagan and Barn Owl. I was just there (with Mel and others), I'm sure she sent you great instructions!

Like Mike said eBird is also a great tool. :)
By cbaarch
I go out at least 3 times a week between Penticton and Oliver. I have yet to spot any of the birds on your list since March.
Vaseux Lake Wildlife centre walkway is more of a miss than a hit
Allendale Road is a guarantee for yellow bellied marmots; only seen the California Big Horn sheep twice on that road. Great for turkey vultures and blue birds
Willowbrook Road and White Lake Road always has a hit - there is a pond at St Andrews by the lake golf course always has birds.
Mahoney Lake had some new activity last week.
There is always something floating below the dam in Okanagan Falls near the campground where there is parking.
I went up Max Lake Road 2 weeks ago. It was pretty rough. it needs a vehicle with lots of clearance if you want to park close by. Green Mountain Road from Penticton to highway #3 was not very active. Yellow Lake on highway 3A had numerous birds and lots of painted turtles.

http://southokanagannature.com/south/ok ... /113-Books the Birding trail book is available at Hooked on Books in the 200 block of Main Street - sat morning is the Downtown open market on Main Street so you will have to park on a side street if you want to get it from that store. It is only $5.00 - it is much better than the price would suggest.
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]