The forum is for information, questions and discussions about locations to go birding within British Columbia.
Want to get out on the waters near Tofino? There is a half-day pelagic in the offing for either July 23 or 24, and there is space on board. The price goes down as more people sign up. This would be on their typical Boston Whaler craft that is very capable of handling moderate seas off the coast with a maximum of 12 people on board. I hear that the skipper is top-notch and knows where to find the birds. Mid summer is a great time for Tufted Puffins in the area as well as a great mix of other pelagic species. The Weather is also fairly settled so there is a lesser chance of a cancellation due to weather.
Here is the price breakdown based on how many people sign up for the trip:
1 pax - $1200
2 pax - $600
3 pax - $400
4 pax - $300
5 pax - $240
6 pax - $200
7 pax - $200
8 pax - $190
9 pax - $170
10 pax - $155
11 pax - $155
12 pax - $155
Typically these trips are from 7am until 1pm though the Whale Centre will keep participants updated on this sort of thing. You will meet at the Whale Centre in downtown Tofino about 30min prior to launch then be supplied with survival suits. In addition to birds, there is a great chance of other marine life such as sea otters, whales, and dolphins.
Contact Lyndsey to sign up or for more info: whales@island.net
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]