The forum is for information, questions and discussions about locations to go birding within British Columbia.
By Shyanni
Hi! I will be visiting Revelstoke on August 12th, likely arriving just before suppertime. I would like to spend a few hours in the evening birding. Can anyone suggest a good spot?
Yes, absolutely! I am living in Revelstoke for the summer and have been birding almost every day there. Many amazingly diverse locations are just outside the main city core, but your best bet for diversity is Machete Island and the adjacent Airport Ponds. If you would like, we could meet up for a few hours, or whatever time you have, for some birding. Please PM me if you are interested. :)

Take care!

Logan - 14 years old
By Shyanni
Thanks, Logan! I have sent a PM.
By stcalico
I grew up in Revelstoke ... but I only started birding a month ago here in Langley ... so I don't know for sure. But I think there would be a lot of good places to check out... the Columbia river flats are close to town (by the ball park) and walking distance, tho I'd probably head down toward the Illecillewaet River or definitely out South past the airport like Logan mentioned which would require a car (or a bicycle - a nice ride). There are a couple board walks a little ways outside of town... Skunk Cabbage Trail or Giant Cedars Trail and I imagine they would have a variety of birds. Mount Revelstoke has some good hikes if you want to incorporate that with your birding.

You can also check Facebook. Revelstoke has a group called 'Friends of the Feathered' and I'm sure they could point you in the right direction.

I'm actually heading there at the end of the month to see my parents so let me know what you find there. :)
By Shyanni
Thanks for the info, Tracy. I'll check it out on Google. I haven't heard back from Logan after my PM to him, so we might be without a guide after all. At fourteen, his folks might not be too happy about him meeting up with internet strangers even if we are fellow birders. Too many nasty, predatory people use the internet in nefarious ways.
By LoganLalonde
Shyanni wrote:Thanks for the info, Tracy. I'll check it out on Google. I haven't heard back from Logan after my PM to him, so we might be without a guide after all. At fourteen, his folks might not be too happy about him meeting up with internet strangers even if we are fellow birders. Too many nasty, predatory people use the internet in nefarious ways.
No worries, Shelley! My mom just sent you a PM. :)
By Shyanni
Thanks, Logan! I got the message just after my last post and sent a reply. It's too bad we won't get to meet, but I've Googled the spots you mentioned and I think we'll be able to find them. I'm really looking forward to it. I would like some day in the future to be able to stay for a four or five days and really explore some of the spots I see mentioned on that Facebook site Friends of the Feathered. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your swim practice, and maybe we'll meet someday in the field, somewhere in the world. If you're ever in Port Alberni, look me up and I'll show you some of our good birding spots.

Bright Blessings!
Shelley
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]