The forum is for information, questions and discussions about locations to go birding within British Columbia.
Will be visiting the area the coming spring.What is the best place to base myself to get the most specialties of the region.And from there what are the areas to visit.Won't have a vehicle,but will make use of the local transit,rented bicycle,and far off places a taxi if the cost is not prohibitive.(ie take a taxi to area then walk back or bike.)Any reply's would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Haynes point in Osoyoos has given me much luck. Saw a nighthawk there for the first time last summer, very cool.
If you cross the border there into Oraville, there is a lot of mountain terrain. There are also old structures from the gold mining days which are interesting, and just driving around the dirt roads allowed us to spot some cool birds... the mountain bluejay was my personal highlight.
Hi Jack,

I would base yourself in Osoyoos. It will be hard to reach certain areas for regional specialties, but it puts you in a good position to pick up the majority.

For example, if you can rent a bike and do about 30 km in a day, you could travel to Road 22 and pick up birds like Yellow-breasted Chat, Bobolink, Least Flycatcher, Grey Catbird, and some sagebrush/open country species (e.g., Vesper Sparrow, Western Meadowlark, and Western Kingbird) if you head just past onto Black Sage Rd. On the way back, you could visit the Osoyoos Desert Centre but unfortunately you'll be just a touch too early for Behr's Hairstreaks. Their flight season starts up in June.

Additional locations within 20 km of Osoyoos include Kilpoola Lakes (good butterflying and birding), Mount Kobau (great butterflying up a nice elevational gradient, including higher elevation sagebrush that could have Sheridan's and/or Bramble Hairstreaks, Brewer's Sparrow, and more), Nighthawk Rd. (classic sagebrush birding that gives you a shot at Sage Thrasher), and Anarchist Mountain (good birding and butterflying, including the ever-so-slight chance at White-headed Woodpecker... but that's daring to dream).

If you want a secondary location to consider, you could base yourself at Okanagan Falls and you'd be within striking distance of Vaseux Lake (Veery, Grey Catbird, nesting grebes and Bullock's Orioles) and the cliffs on the opposite side of the highway (Canyon Wren, Rock Wren, Lewis' Woodpecker, White-throated Swifts), Shuttleworth Creek Rd. (I believe I had Hoary, Western, and Moss' Elfins up there in one day, and it's good for woodpeckers, Western Bluebirds and more), River Rd. (Yellow-breasted Chat, Black-chinned Hummingbird, Grey Catbird), White Lake (Sage Thrasher and sagebrush country sparrows like Brewer's and Clay-coloured... I've seen Coral Hairstreak there, as well), and then Camp McKinney Rd. (Grey Flycatcher... I found a Western Skink there once) is a little further out.

If you really want to ensure you pick up loads of birds, you could consider enlisting the services of Chris Charlesworth of Avocet Tours: http://www.avocettours.ca/. If he is not available, one of his faithful leaders can certainly put you onto loads of species. I have never met Chris, but I know he has a great track record and can probably help you pick up desired birds of the night, too, including Common Poorwill and Flammulated Owl. Something to consider if it's in your budget.

Good luck,
Jeremy Gatten
Saanichton, B.C.
Thanks for the good advice Jeremy!That's the way I was angling,basing myself in Osoyoos.Will post a lot more questions when I do more researching.A first question were in that area is the best spot to see Long-billed Curlew?
I actually don't know the best spot, but I have seen a pair one year at the end of Nighthawk Rd. in the field east of the border crossing station. They were pretty distant.

Additional locations I have seen them between Keremeos and Osoyoos (so probably not within biking distance, but within half an hour's drive) include:

Chopaka Rd.

This is just a little further past Nighthawk Rd. towards Keremeos; the local First Nations are not too keen about white folks in the area but you're allowed to stay on the road. It's best to learn the curlew's call because they are loud and you'll be able find them easier by call. Basically scan all open fields but I think I was lucky to find them here because the field they were in was not visible from the road, but they happened to take flight and were circling. Chopaka Rd. is one of my favourite birding roads because I've had success finding Yellow-breasted Chats, Lewis' Woodpeckers, Lark Sparrows (my trusty spot), Black-chinned Hummingbird (once), Pygmy Nuthatches, Lazuli Buntings, and more. I also found a population of Sandhill Skippers down this road, but they aren't out until later.

Eagle Valley

I don't have good directions to this place, but there is a roadside plaque for it. It's basically a few kilometers southeast of Cawston, so quite close to Keremeos. As you drive along south out of Cawston, the west side of the road has an area that becomes shrubby and then it opens up into a nice field - I have seen adult curlews with young here many years ago. A Google map showing the area can be viewed here:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=keremeos&l ... a&t=h&z=14

Hopefully others have suggestions because I don't really go out of my way to find them any more. I think they like taller grass fields in the floodplain valleys and that's about all I can say.

Jeremy Gatten
Saanichton, B.C.
I don't think you will be disappointed Jack with Jeremy's suggestions. All are top notch! I've had the opportunity for the last two years to spend all of May and part of June based out of Oliver (still working) and look forward to similar opportunities this coming Spring.

I have found Long-billed Curlew both on the South side of Road 22 and on Black Sage Rd. just South of Road 22.

Osoyoos might be your best shot for a base, although I find Oliver quite central to all the various local areas.
Maybe I'm a dreamer too, but I'm going to give it a more serious shot at the White-headed Woodpecker this year...

Hi Jack,

You can definitely visit Chopaka with no hassle. The First Nations there can drive by you slowly, but you are definitely allowed to cruise along the road and get out and walk along it. The last time I was there, I was in an unmarked, white rental truck and a couple of First Nations fellows stopped to ask what we were doing. I think they thought we were conducting work without permission, but we ensured them we were just stopping there to look for snakes and we actually had a Western Rattlesnake under our truck. They asked if we wanted them to move it and I was worried they would kill it as venomous snakes are often persecuted in such a manner. When I said we would just wait, they continued on their way.

Anyways, just stick along the roads and you will be fine. You can get a good cross-section of the Okanagan specialties along the road including most of the sagebrush/grassland sparrows (really good for Lark Sparrow), Lewis' Woodpecker, Red-naped Sapsucker, Black-chinned Hummingbird, Yellow-breasted Chat, Lazuli Bunting, Bullock's Oriole, and more. In the whole South Okanagan Protected Grasslands, you can pick up other species including Grasshopper Sparrow. It's a big area and I can't remember if I mentioned Kilpoola Lakes as a destination that is within striking distance of Osoyoos or not. It is a great area and you can find hordes of butterflies up there, too. It is found along Kruger Mountain Rd., which I see is mentioned in the write-up for the protected grasslands. At night, you can find Common Poorwills up Kruger Mountain Rd. Obviously a second visit to the Okanagan in late June will increase the number of butterflies, but you might miss earlier species like Bramble and Sheridan's Hairstreaks. There will always be trade-offs!

Good luck and feel free to ask more questions!

Jeremy Gatten
Saanichton, B.C.
Jack: As mentioned in previous posts, your best, and closest bet to see Long billed Curlew if you are based in the Osoyoos/Oliver area are the open cropped fields adjacent to Rd. 22. Meadowlark Lane ( just before Burrowing Owl Winery ), which goes up from nearby Black Sage Rd towards what is locally called the Throne can also be good for Lark Sparrow, Western, and Mountain Bluebird, Bullock's Oriole, and Chipping Sparrow. The rock faces of the Throne itself will hold Canyon, and Rock Wren. Depending on when in May you will be here, you should be able to see Bobolink in the hayfields on either side of Rd. 22, as well. Cheers, Thor

Thor Manson
Gallagher Lake/Oliver B.C.
Steely wrote:I don't think you will be disappointed Jack with Jeremy's suggestions. All are top notch! I've had the opportunity for the last two years to spend all of May and part of June based out of Oliver (still working) and look forward to similar opportunities this coming Spring.

I have found Long-billed Curlew both on the South side of Road 22 and on Black Sage Rd. just South of Road 22.

Osoyoos might be your best shot for a base, although I find Oliver quite central to all the various local areas.
Maybe I'm a dreamer too, but I'm going to give it a more serious shot at the White-headed Woodpecker this year...

if you are not too picky about picking up White-headed woodpecker in Canada i have a great location in Washington state for this handsome species...

revs wrote:
Steely wrote:I don't think you will be disappointed Jack with Jeremy's suggestions. All are top notch! I've had the opportunity for the last two years to spend all of May and part of June based out of Oliver (still working) and look forward to similar opportunities this coming Spring.

Maybe we will run into each other!

if you are not too picky about picking up White-headed woodpecker in Canada i have a great location in Washington state for this handsome species...

Terrific photograph!Washington is out maybe try for them in B.C.Best area?
After a long bus ride will first recoup in Kelowna!Spend two days there.What are some nice spots in the city accessible by bus where I might find some local specialties.And spending one day birding Beaver Lake road by bike.What local specialties could I find on the road and where? Any info greatly appreciated!
If you are in Kelowna for two days I would recommend trying to get to Robert Lake. Its a really easy bus ride, just bus to the UBC campus. When you get off the bus walk to the back of the upper most parking lot. You will see a paved road which is about a 5-10 min walk to Robert lake.

Also, I am sure you have seen this, but if not thought I would just post a link just in case.

http://birding.bc.ca/regions/okanagan_v ... elowna.php

Scott

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]