The forum is for information, questions and discussions about locations to go birding within British Columbia.
By alice10
Hello all, I've always wanted to go birding at the ferry terminal but I haven't had a chance to go yet (I know, quite sad really :oops: ). I was wondering where the best places are along the jetty to see oystercatchers or just a good spot in general for birds and how to park safely with all that crazy traffic. Thanks for the advice! :D

Alice
By skeller
The ostercatchers are found all over the jetty and pretty hard to miss.

As for getting there and parking, just take a left at the last traffic light right before the jetty, follow that road past the gas station and drive up the jetty and park anywhere. You can then bird up the jetty for about 45min until you reach the terminal entrance where there is another traffic light to get across to the other side. You can then cross at the light and walk back the original light that you turned at and walk back to your car. Usually takes me about 1.5-2hrs.

Scott
Like Scott said, you can turn left at the gas station when approaching the jetty and go to a parking area, but there are also other small spots to pull over or park as you drive up the jetty. Also like Scott said, the Oystercatchers tend to be all over the place where there is rocky beach (everywhere but the beginning of the jetty) and it is pretty hard to miss them if you look. If you don't see them, you can try another area and doign that there is almost no way they can be missed.

Good luck! :)
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]