This forum is for posting bird photos and for general discussions in the field of bird photography. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, you are encouraged to include a link to your personal bird photo galleries.
I owed an update! I'm a couple of pages behind ...
We are over 200 birds now! Nice work!!
Total: 204
Remaining: 332

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16391&p=88956#p88956

Keep the photos coming ... I was out a couple of times this weekend and, although I saw some beautiful birds, I didn't capture photos of any not already on the page. However, I was able to get this front view of a Swainson's Hawk to add to our collection:

(photo around Bench Row Rd and Vernon Commonage Rd intersection, Okanagon)
I actually like all of your pictures, Zach. I'm just going to apologize up front for this photo of a Wild Turkey on Knox Mountain. I forgot to bring my camera, so you get a cell phone picture. It counts. lol.

I promise a better photo of a turkey this year. haha.
James
I was out today near Kettle Valley Rail Trail in Kelowna ... up at altitude I photographed a few birds ... snapped this guy and tried to identify him. Merlin tells me it's a Dusky Flycatcher. I'm more convinced it's a Gray Flycatcher. Any consensus? I'm going with Dusky for now.

Closer look:
I'd go with Dusky as well, for a couple of reasons:

- It's much more likely in your area
- tail looks quite long (look where the wings end compared to the tail)

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Dus ... e/70199711

It's probably not possible to be 100% certain in this case (unless you have video/audio) so I think going with the more likely species makes sense. If you find another, call it the other species that we need LOL.
zwest wrote:
May 28 8:03 am
I'd go with Dusky as well, for a couple of reasons:

- It's much more likely in your area
- tail looks quite long (look where the wings end compared to the tail)

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Dus ... e/70199711

It's probably not possible to be 100% certain in this case (unless you have video/audio) so I think going with the more likely species makes sense. If you find another, call it the other species that we need LOL.
I like how you think! haha. Ok, Dusky Flycatcher it is!
Ok, Zach, here's the next one ... I captured this fellow down by the lakefront in a Marshy area (conservation area). He was there by himself diving down to the water and back up ... he cycled around several times. After a lot of looking and research, I think it is either an Arctic Tern (most likely) or a Forster's Tern (less likely). The coloration is wrong for a Common Tern. What do you think? The bill is definitely all orange ... no black on it at all. Or am I completely off and it is a Golden Eagle? haha.

zwest wrote:
May 28 6:04 pm
Wow!!
I agree with Arctic Tern...
I’ve never seen one here and I don’t imagine they are common where you are either...
Nice catch! :P
Thanks! They are uncommon for sure ... my daughter was here visiting ... that's why we were over there. Yes, I feel fortunate and lucky!

It's getting tougher! This morning it was cool […]

What bird is this

House wren

some Song Sparrows

Nice pictures ... and one of the Song Sparrow si[…]

Excellent report and photos. We vacation every […]