Looking for something to shoot? Find challenges and assignments here.
Hi All! I know I'm getting a late start on this challenge but I think we can catch up pretty quickly! Would like to do like last year ... a photo of EVERY BC Bird from this year -- 2020! Our total last year was 273 birds ...wow. ... we had great contributions all the way around ... I just returned from Tucson, Arizona ... and since I will be focusing my efforts in BC for the foreseeable future 8) this should be easy! Here's a Tucson bird to whet our appetites ...
James
Broad-billed Hummingbird on its Nest ...
Good on you for keeping this going!
Here are 3 recent photos that I particularly like:

* This one has since been disqualified as a pure Common Teal; apparently it is a hybrid Common & American Green-winged Teal. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see it - it looks the same as any other Common Teal picture I've seen. I leave it to you to decide how you're going to list it :lol:
ImageCommon/Eurasian Teal (Male) by Jewill on Flickr

ImageMountain Bluebird (Male) by Jewill on Flickr

ImageWhite-throated Sparrow by Jewill on Flickr
Wow. Great shots! I'll consult with Zach ... haha. That White-throated Sparrow is still on my life list to see -- glad to have one here as a reference. Thanks for contributing so quickly! We are now at 4!
Today was good for spotting ... in my yard! lol. I can get us up to 10 birds ...
This first one is a Mountain Chickadee eating a sunflower seed.

This second one is an Oregon Junco (Dark-eyed) sitting at the feeder. Beautiful bird.

I couldn't resist posting this Spotted Towhee -- he was flitting all over the yard this evening!

Enjoy!
Stumbling Piper
jewill wrote: Mar 21 5:55 pm Good on you for keeping this going!
Here are 3 recent photos that I particularly like:

* This one has since been disqualified as a pure Common Teal; apparently it is a hybrid Common & American Green-winged Teal. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see it - it looks the same as any other Common Teal picture I've seen. I leave it to you to decide how you're going to list it :lol:

---
Judy -- I'm going with Common Teal! Now we need a Green-winged Teal! :mrgreen:
stumblingpiper wrote:
Judy -- I'm going with Common Teal! Now we need a Green-winged Teal! :mrgreen:
How about a purple Green-winged Teal? The purple effect was due to the sun being very bright and directly overhead; it's the only pic I have of a GWTE from this year. If someone has a better, more classic GWTE shot I don't think it would be breaking the rules if you posted it.
ImageGreen-winged Teal (American - Male) by Jewill on Flickr

In keeping with ducks, here's a Barrow's Goldeneye
ImageBarrow's Goldeneye (Male) by Jewill on Flickr

And finally, taken on New Year's Day, Brewer's Blackbird - both male and female in one shot!
ImageBrewer's Blackbird (Male & Female) by Jewill on Flickr

I really hope other birders will post their pics too. In this time of uncertainity and social isolation it would be nice to see some beautiful birds to take our minds off of things, even for just a few minutes.
It's great to see this thread starting again. I definitely enjoyed contributing and seeing what everyone else could come up with last year. I'm going to start with a few early birds I've seen here in the South Okanagan...and managed to photograph...
I've seen a few early Meadowlarks but haven't been able to get a worthy pic yet...

Snow Bunting on Allendale Rd. near OK Falls.

One of many Say's Phoebe up on Seacrest near Oliver.

Male Harrier seen flying with mate on Black Sage Rd. South of Oliver.
Great shots, Ian! We didn't have that Snow Bunting last year so already we are ahead! lol. Look forward to more of those great contributions down there ...
James
I have three more from the last couple of days ...
The Pygmy Nuthatches finally showed up to my feeder ... I love those birds!

I saw a bald eagle yesterday but didn't have my camera ... but this lovely Red-tailed Hawk stayed long enough for me to capture him!

Finally, this Northern Flicker has been hanging on the neighbor's chimney -- must like the heat! haha.

Enjoy!
James
Here are a few more...

This guy looks like I feel after only 2 days of self isolating! :mrgreen:
ImageLesser Scaup (Male) by Jewill on Flickr

Our provincial bird.
ImageSteller's Jay by Jewill on Flickr

It's my 'thing' (one of many) to get both sexes in the same shot.
ImageWood Duck (Male & Female) by Jewill on Flickr

And lastly, for today, one of the prettiest winter birds in the backyard.
ImageVaried Thrush (Male) by Jewill on Flickr
Great shots, Judy! I'm in quarantine for the next 5 days from a return trip in the US (fortunately I have quite a few birds in my backyard). When I'm done with that, I'll be self-isolating on a few country roads to add to our collection! (Just like last year). haha. :mrgreen:
Good start everyone... self quarantining in a car on a lonely country road sound like a good plan to me! We went out this morning on a whim and were rewarded with our best looks yet at the often elusive Lesser Goldfinches up Old Richter Pass Road East of Osoyoos. It looks like they have Wintered well and hope that the flock will be expanding this year.
We say a nice Pileated Woodpecker as well although he was uncooperative...

Mature male Lesser Goldfinch

Immature male Lesser Goldfinch
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]