This forum is for the listing of "Wanted" and "For sale" items that are related to birding and natural history.
Looking to purchase, something small, any recommendations?
Thinking of Opticron Oregon 4 LE WP 8x32
or
Pentax 62593 8x25

Criteria is: small, light, under $200.

Any help appreciated, thanks.
I know this is a thread from 2014. Don't know if I should revive this thread or start a new one. Anyways, I am looking to buy a pair of binoculars and am thinking of the Vortex Diamondback. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0192 ... e=UTF8&psc

Two questions:
1. Has anybody used it before or is there something else I should get instead.
2. Between the 10X42 and 8X42, which are both around similar weight, which one should I get?

Thanks.
I have been using a pair of Diamondback 8x42 for more than a year. Quite pleased with them and note that they are a fairly common out in the field. Don't try to compare them with the top liners, but at 1/5 to 1/10th the price they give a good view for the money. As to model, that is a personal preference: 8x will be brighter in low light, 10x gives a bigger image. If you only bird in fine daytime weather the brightness is not so relevant. If you tend to be a bit shaky the lower power may be the best choice. Most important: hold 'em steady!
Rokman
I won a pair of 8x42 Vortex Diamondback binoculars around 5 or 6 years ago. At the time I had been buying and rather quickly destroying 10x42 Bushnell Legends - worst eyecups ever! I probably went through three in maybe 5 or 6 years. It was appalling, but they were around the price and quality that I wanted. I had hear murmurings about Vortex and their warranty, so I was quite taken aback when I won the 8x42 Diamondback bins at the Brant Festival up in Parksville. I knew their price point was a fair bit less than 10x42 Bushnell Legends, so I was shocked at how well they performed. I stopped taking out my pair of Bushnells immediately and the Diamondbacks became my go-to pair. If the optical quality wasn't enough already, you can imagine my surprise when I took those binoculars with everywhere I went for around 5 years before the optics slowly got out of alignment and were no longer sharp. I decided to treat myself to a pair of Vortex Razor 10x42 binoculars last fall (unfortunately just after our dollar tanked). I had intended to send my Vortex Diamondbacks in to test out the rather legendary warranty (which is starting to become more of a standard), but I didn't have time before my trip to Arizona. Well... my new Razors had one faulty part that broke, luckily on the last day of my trip just as I was about to head to the airport to fly home. Vortex was very good about the whole thing - I sent in both pairs of binoculars together, free of charge because the Razors were new and they understood I shouldn't be on the line to ship them. I received a brand new pair of Razors and a few weeks later I had my Diamondbacks back. The Diamondbacks appeared to get new lenses and a nice crisp realignment - impressively sharp for the price point! If you read reviews, you'll find they are regarded as a very solid value for money.

I have read that 8x42 is the way to go for the Diamondbacks - if you're getting 10x42, you should be getting better glass because you need extra light and clarity with the extra magnification. It seems like they discontinued the old style and now have a 2016 model, which might have made a bit of a price jump. There is a chance ordering them from the US might save you some money (as I see your link was amazon.com rather than amazon.ca), but I am not sure what kind of hassle you're in for if and when you need to use the warranty.

I don't know if there is anything useful in all that I've written, but I think Vortex is a solid choice and the Diamondbacks are a great value.

Jeremy Gatten
Saanichton, BC
Like Jeremy I started out with similar optics then moved to the Vortex Crossfire and then the Diamondbacks 8x42 which are far superior and liked them a lot! I recommend 8x42 for birding as you have a larger field of view. Like Jeremy said vortex warranty is fantastic whenever I lose an eyecup cover or lens cover they send a new one and when I split my bins in half they sent me a brand new one! You can't beat that service!

You won't regret your purchase! Have a great one

Mel
I have a pair of Pentax 8x25 dcf-sw that I keep in my golf bag that are very compact and am quite happy with, but I wanted them extremely compact for my golf bag (or even my pocket when I golf!). I take my Nikon Monarch 10x42 anytime i travel.

Depends how compact you are looking :)
The Monarch 5 is a great binocular. Very sharp and bright. The focus mechanism is excellent.

I also have the small Pentax. For $100 they are pretty good. If you want really small they are about the best in that price range.
2020 BC Birding Challenge ...

lol. Great work Zach, Judy and Marilyn on adding […]

We are at 238 birds for 2020! Auklet, Rhinocero[…]

Is this a herring gull?

I sure have a lot to learn.

Yes, gulls are challenging to ID. Thanks.