This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By VAGAbond
The following bird(s) were photographed Sept. 2 at Stewart (up next to Alaska). I will be grateful if someone can set me straight on the ID. With the pink blush I was trying to make it into a Hoary Redpoll until I realized the pink was on different parts of the bird depending on its orientation. The bird was just above a red roof and the pink is a reflection from the roof so ignore the pink. My best guess has been a 1st year female American Redstart but the colour doesn't quite match the pictures in my reference books that show less breast striping. Some of these photos show a yellow rump not shown on any of my illustrations of a Redstart and is more suggestive of a Yellow-rumped Warbler but the overall colour is much more grey than I expect for a 1st winter Yellow-rump.

The following picture I believe is a different bird from same mixed flock of small birds.

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]