This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By birdeyes
From the markings, it looks like this is a yellow-shafted northern flicker. However, when I examine some of the photos, the wing and tail underparts are orange like the red-shaft. Is this a hybrid or just migrated west too long and the diet changes its coloring?

A couple more is posted on my flicker page. Thanks for any information on the above.
By birdergirl
Hi Mario,

Yes this is an intergrade.

Red-shafted Northern Flickers are the ones we normally get out here. The males have a red face (malar) stripe and no red on the nape (back of neck). Both sexes also have gray faces and red shafted feathers that are most apparent in flight. Females have no red malar stripe and no red on the nape.

Male Yellow-shafted Northern Flickers have a black face (malar) stripe and red on the nape. Both sexes have brown faces and yellow shafted feathers that are very noticeable in flight. Females have no malar stripe but have red on the back of their heads.

Your bird has a black malar stripe, red on the nape but it also has red shafted feathers. Therefore, your bird is a male intergrade/hybrid.

Cheers,
Mel

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]