This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By jewill
The annual Open House at O.W.L. will take place on the weekend of May 6 and 7 from 10 am to 3 pm both days.
Come see behind the scenes of one of the busiest bird of prey rehabilitation centres in Canada. Meet your local raptor species, see the medical room, and watch a rehabilitated raptor be released back to the wild at 1 pm on both days. David Hancock, a wildlife biologist, will lead a talk about Bald Eagles at 11 am (both days). Guest wildlife and animal charities will be there highlighting their important work. Kid friendly games! The recently completed Wildlife museum/interpretive centre will be open. Food provide by Triple O's and Gypsy Trunk food truck.
Admission is by donation (cash or cheque only) and please leave your pets at home.
For more information please see the website: http://www.owlrehab.org/open-house-2017/
This event will take place rain or shine and the majority of it is outdoors, so please dress for the weather.
Thank you and good birding to all!
By jewill
Thanks for sharing Tracie. Too bad you will miss the Open House but you can still come for a visit any Saturday or Sunday between 10 am and 3 pm, excluding holidays :D.
By jewill
Great! It looks like the weather is going to cooperate too (fingers crossed).
See you there - I will most likely be sitting with Sarah our Barn owl so please be sure to say "hi".
By wendylou
Took in my grandaughter and we really enjoyed it! So glad I heard about it here.
By jewill
Thanks for coming out Wendy and I'm so glad you and your granddaughter had a good time.
It was a great event all due to the wonderful people and other wildlife/conservation groups who attended. The weather could not have been any better too! We even got to do 2 releases each day, so now there are 3 more eagles and 1 turkey vulture back out in the wild doing the important work they have to do to keep our environment clean and healthy.
The numbers have not yet been tallied but I have a feeling that this was the most successful Open House yet. I am resting my voice today because it's a little scratchy after talking for 2 days straight about Barn owls in general and in particular our beautiful ambassador Sarah.
Thank you to all who came out and supported us. O.W.L. would not exist without you.
I'll see you at next year's Open House, the date is still to be determined but it will be around the same general time.

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]